Clawhammer Supply Electric All-in-One

AGbrewer

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new system. My #1 target is Clawhammer Supply 10 Gallon 120v system. I've seen the various article and video reviews on this system (e.g. brulosophy, short circuited brewing, etc.). I just wanted to get some honest opinions about folks personal experience using this system. So if you own it and use it, I would love to hear your feedback on the questions below.

1. What are your thoughts on it?
  2. What are some things that you don't like about it?
  3. What are some things that you do like about it?
  4. How many batches have you done at what OG (I do a lot of high gravity stuff)?
    1. Got any tips on high gravity brews with this system?
  5. What are some tips you can give to make brewing with it easier?

I'd be curious too, a buddy of mine got an Anvil Foundry and it will do 120v/240v which is very appealing. I've never really seen a Clawhammer in the wild.

I just had a look at their website, it is a 10 gallon kettle (to the brim), so best suited for 5ish gallon batches.
It has been a while, but I have watched many of their videos, looks like a real slick system.
You boil wouldn't be very vigorous with the 120V system, I wouldn't think, but it is 150watts more than my brewzilla.
Buy it, and tell us all about it!!!

I almost ordered one a year ago. My apprehension was all of the hoses and pumps and the huge controller etc. Not a bad thing, just my thing.

I almost ordered one a year ago. My apprehension was all of the hoses and pumps and the huge controller etc. Not a bad thing, just my thing.

Yeah, i thought about that. But being able to do full volume on the water and not having to sparge seems like it would be very nice. Just having a single kettle to do everything would be nice. M&B doesn't really work the way it should.

It's great if you don't mind all of that stuff and the ability to brew indoors. I went from a 10 gal kettle BIAB on a propane burner to Brewzilla indoors. Much more convenient. Especially in my neck of the woods right now. This summer, I may do a batch "old school"

Boss lady gave me the green light to get a Clawhammer for fathers day, but i have to sell my Mash & Boil first. Craigslist is about to get a little bit more crowded...

Haven't got it...yet.

We are in the middle of a refi for the house and have several home remodel/repair projects going on at the moment. My hope is that I'll have it by the middle of March. That means my first batch should be drinkable by Mid-April and I would be able to report back on how everything turned out with the maiden voyage.

Stay tuned...

Haven't got it...yet.

We are in the middle of a refi for the house and have several home remodel/repair projects going on at the moment. My hope is that I'll have it by the middle of March. That means my first batch should be drinkable by Mid-April and I would be able to report back on how everything turned out with the maiden voyage.

Stay tuned...
The guy from "the hombrew challange" uses one. On youtube. It looks like a quality piece of equipment.

Just ordered my Clawhammer Supply (10.5 Gallon 110v). Should be here in a couple weeks. Hoping to have the first brew (RIS or BDSA) done before the end of March. Will report back on what it's like for the maiden voyage.

Emailed Emmett back and forth a few times and ended up trading the pump for a 40 plate chiller (I've already got a RipTide pump).

Looking forward to seeing and hearing all about it!

I really like their videos!
Emmett = Bush Man!!!

Yeah I'm super curious how this goes.

Finally got the system...with a few unexpected surprises.

Shipping: It shipped and arrived much faster than expected.

Assembly: Took a bit of time to figure out how to assemble. The instructions that they have on the website are not quite how the new model is constructed. However, after watching the videos and thinking about it, I was able to figure it out. There is some wiring up that is required, but nothing major like working on a bread board (insert your electronic nerd comments here).

Quality: You can tell that most of the parts are very well made and constructed to a high standard. The only item that I thought was somewhat cheap was the grain basket welding that attached the frame of the basket to the mesh screen. The basket they sent had the mesh pulling away from the frame at 2 different points. You could tell that it wasn't really welded, but rather heated up to adhere to the metal. In essence, a poor design. Don't know how else to design it better, but could tell that this would be an issue in the future. Emmet said he would either send out a new bucket or discount the system that I purchased, whichever I preferred. I went with a new bucket. He even threw in a neoprene insulation jacket for free. 4 days later, it showed up.

Dry Run: I decided to test everything out with a few gallons of water in the system to see how it would work (Clawhammer also recommends doing a dry run after initial assembly). Found that I had forgot to install a gasket on the heating element clamp, so it started leaking water when I was filling it up. Thankfully it was just water and not boiling wort! Everything seems to work pretty good. The operation of the PID controller was pretty straight forward for most things. There is a sub menu for the controller if you would like to recalibrate the temp controller that seemed a bit more in-depth, but nothing that was too terribly difficult.

Overall First Impression: Take this with a grain of salt as I haven't actually brewed on the system yet. However, given my experience so far, I am thoroughly impressed with the operation and quality of the system. The only complaint I would have is the grain basket quality. Hope that they figure out a different way to make it attach to the frame. Maybe sandwich the SS mesh between two pieces of metal on the frame and weld those together. Of course, that would increase cost, but it would also resolve the issue.

P.S. I will be posting a full blown review after my brew day is complete. Probably going to brew this weekend.

Neat, I hope it works out for you.

Finally got the system...with a few unexpected surprises.

Shipping: It shipped and arrived much faster than expected.

Assembly: Took a bit of time to figure out how to assemble. The instructions that they have on the website are not quite how the new model is constructed. However, after watching the videos and thinking about it, I was able to figure it out. There is some wiring up that is required, but nothing major like working on a bread board (insert your electronic nerd comments here).

Quality: You can tell that most of the parts are very well made and constructed to a high standard. The only item that I thought was somewhat cheap was the grain basket welding that attached the frame of the basket to the mesh screen. The basket they sent had the mesh pulling away from the frame at 2 different points. You could tell that it wasn't really welded, but rather heated up to adhere to the metal. In essence, a poor design. Don't know how else to design it better, but could tell that this would be an issue in the future. Emmet said he would either send out a new bucket or discount the system that I purchased, whichever I preferred. I went with a new bucket. He even threw in a neoprene insulation jacket for free. 4 days later, it showed up.

Dry Run: I decided to test everything out with a few gallons of water in the system to see how it would work (Clawhammer also recommends doing a dry run after initial assembly). Found that I had forgot to install a gasket on the heating element clamp, so it started leaking water when I was filling it up. Thankfully it was just water and not boiling wort! Everything seems to work pretty good. The operation of the PID controller was pretty straight forward for most things. There is a sub menu for the controller if you would like to recalibrate the temp controller that seemed a bit more in-depth, but nothing that was too terribly difficult.

Overall First Impression: Take this with a grain of salt as I haven't actually brewed on the system yet. However, given my experience so far, I am thoroughly impressed with the operation and quality of the system. The only complaint I would have is the grain basket quality. Hope that they figure out a different way to make it attach to the frame. Maybe sandwich the SS mesh between two pieces of metal on the frame and weld those together. Of course, that would increase cost, but it would also resolve the issue.

P.S. I will be posting a full blown review after my brew day is complete. Probably going to brew this weekend.
It's just a rumor until you post pictures...

Here is the recipe that I'm using. Don't think that I'll be able to fit 8 gallons of water and 18 lbs of grain in a 10 gallon bucket. Going to reserve about 2 gallons so only 6 gallons in the actual bucket with 18 lbs of grain for a 1.33 water to grain ratio. If it looks like it can handle more water, I'll add it to see if I can get to the full volume of water for the mash. Just have to be careful with the grain increasing in size when the water penetrates don't want any grains getting down to the heating element. Otherwise, I'll be sparging.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1115053/gibcs-013

20210318_201852 (1).jpg

Back