Cider concerns

Ckelly999

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a long time brewer who's getting back into the hobby after a few years hiatus.

I'm fermenting a hard cider, I used 5 gallons of fresh cider (pasteurized but no preservatives; INGREDIENTS: APPLES) and 16 oz apple juice concentrate (malic and ascorbic acid, no preservatives) to get the OG up to 1.051. I oxygenated the cider by sloshing it out of the jugs into the fermenter and pitched a hydrated packet of Nottingham dry yeast (which I've used with great success before) 2 weeks ago; bubbling has slowed to a crawl so I popped the top to check the gravity- it's at 1.012 (5.12% ABV), which seems way too low. I was expecting something to 8-9%; should I put it in the secondary for a few more weeks? Or is this likely to be it? Really scratching my head on this one.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

CK

An OG of 1.051 has a max ABV of around 6.7%, that is assuming it ferments all the way to 1.000. It may still be fermenting, and in theory since you have all simple sugars I don't see why it wouldn't go dry given the low ABV. Yeast nutrient levels may be the problem. Though you aerated properly, the yeast may not have had the proper nutrients that come from a beer wort. That might be why the fermentation is slowing down early and possible stalling.

For an 8.5% cider, your starting gravity needs to be closer to 1.065. Nottingham is an Ale yeast. I'd go with a wine yeast, mead yeast, or one of the liquid cider yeasts next time. Then add some yeast nutrient and you'll be set.

Lalvin 71B does a decent job on the sugar increased juices. I tend to let the apples fall where they may and make the cider from whatever the juice gives me; usually around 1.050 or so. My latest fermented down to 1.003 with Nottingham. I added back in some sweetener (liquid stevia blend) and some acid blend. Otherwise it tasted pretty bland. (just a few things to keep in mind)

EDIT: I forgot an important bit of information. I added in some yeast nutrient into the cider to help things along. Just whatever the recommended amount was.

Back