Cider 1 week in, little fermentation?

blackcats

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello brewers,

I've done a couple of brews before but this is my first cider and under new climate (I live in Brazil now, only ever brewed at my previous house in Montana). I followed a pretty straight forward cider recipe: 5 gallons 100% natural apple juice, no preservatives, no additives other than citric acid, and added 5 lbs of brown sugar. In the first few days there were lots of fizzing in the carboy and bubbles in the airlock. Maybe 2-3 bubbles per second. Today is day 8 of fermentation and it's at a near standstill. I can still see some small bubbles in the carboy but only about 1 bubble in the airlock every 10 seconds. I kept the carboy in a dark room with blackout blinds and the temperature has been a constant 80 degrees.

Does this sound normal? Should I be concerned? If so, what can I do to save my brew?

Tags: fortuner 2017, hyundai hd700 dong vang, xe tải van dongben

Last edited:
Hello brewers,

I've done a couple of brews before but this is my first cider and under new climate (I live in Brazil now, only ever brewed at my previous house in Montana). I followed a pretty straight forward cider recipe: 5 gallons 100% natural apple juice, no preservatives, no additives other than citric acid, and added 5 lbs of brown sugar. In the first few days there were lots of fizzing in the carboy and bubbles in the airlock. Maybe 2-3 bubbles per second. Today is day 8 of fermentation and it's at a near standstill. I can still see some small bubbles in the carboy but only about 1 bubble in the airlock every 10 seconds. I kept the carboy in a dark room with blackout blinds and the temperature has been a constant 80 degrees.

Does this sound normal? Should I be concerned? If so, what can I do to save my brew?

80f that's 26c in my lingo that's a nice warm fermentation black cats I'm not suprised you didn't get a more vigorous fermentation with the Apple juice plus the brown sugar she would have been a good starting gravity I recon 1.060 ish. Did you take a SG reading Blackers? You use champagne yeast? I know going from previous Apple ciders I've made from scratch that just apple juice will give you a SG of 1.040 and will finish fairly dry with FG near 1.001 depending on yeast you use.

So my advice get the hydrometer and take a sample write down your reading then wait a day or three take another hydrometer reading compare if no change bottle her if a change repeat process;).

My guess is she should be about done.
How long has it been fermenting?

Big change from Montana to Brazil. Just got over 0-F temps here.
RDWHAHB let it finish it sounds fine to me.

Back