Chocolate Malt Stout

Nibs: Boil them. Chocolate "flavor" is not volatile. You're talking about cocoa and chocolate is cocoa and vanilla. Boil the nibs then at packaging add vanilla - use a good quality extract or make your own - to taste. Otherwise, chocolate syrup works fine as well, add it at high krauesen and simple, easy chocolate flavor is the result.

I'm agreeing with Minbari on this one: Chocolate flavor and lactose for sweetness. Mash high to give yourself dextrines and the perception of sweetness. Milk, well, you're adding milk proteins and other stuff you may not want. I think you'll get closer to your target by skipping the milk and using lactose.
You probably suggested that to me last year, and I had a lot of different opinions given to me at the time. I probably chose to go the way I did more based on, the cool factor of saying that "I have been soaking my nibs" for the "last two weeks" thing...

Last edited:
You probably suggested that to me last year, and I had a lot of different opinions given to me at the time. I probably chose to go the way I did more based on, the cool factor of saying that "I have been soaking my nibs" for the last two weeks" thing...
There's no accounting for cool. I have heard of the rum/vodka soak but every recipe I know using cocoa heats it. And at my age, cool means I need a sweater when everyone else is in shorts...

Nosybear, appreciate the carafe ii/ iii tip, and high temp mash makes sense as well.

Back