Cherry beer

miaamelia

Reaction score
As the favourite beer of both the wife and I is Liefmans Kreik
icon_smile.gif
Cherry is the first fruit to get the nod.
I know that this is not going to come close to Kreik but if it is drinkable and tastes of cherries it's a step in the right direction
icon_cool.gif

The recipe was,
1kg DME
140g crushed crystal malt
4 jars morello cherries
14g Saaz hops

The crystal malt was placed in my grain bag and in the boiler as 15 litres of water was brought to the boil, the crystal malt was removed and the DME dissolved in the water at 75 C.
This was boiled with the hops for 45 minutes, cooled with the immersion coil, transfered to the primary on top of the cherries and syrup.
The yeast was taken from the slurry of a light ale brew.
I collected 12 litres at an OG of 1042.
It's fermenting away happily already and it's red, so at least it's the right colour
icon_wink.gif

Next step if all goes well is all grain and wyeast belgian lambic blend yeast
icon_eek.gif

icon_smile.gif
I know that this is not going to come close to Kreik but if it is drinkable and tastes of cherries it's a step in the right direction
icon_cool.gif

The recipe was,
1kg DME
4 jars morello cherries
14g Saaz hops

The crystal malt was placed in my grain bag and in the boiler as 15 litres of water was brought to the boil, the crystal malt was removed and the DME dissolved in the water at 75 C.
This was boiled with the hops for 45 minutes, cooled with the immersion coil, transfered to the primary on top of the cherries and syrup.
It's fermenting away happily already and it's red cherry beer recipe, so at least it's the right colour
icon_wink.gif

icon_eek.gif
thanks in advance for any help

You wernt on the Zoom the other day were you.

We were talking about our favourite Bot:p.

I'll go and take some yeast from my slurry

Mia's writing style has changed a bit ....

icon_smile.gif
icon_cool.gif

The recipe was,
1kg DME
4 jars morello cherries
14g Saaz hops

It's fermenting away happily already and it's red, so at least it's the right colour
icon_wink.gif

icon_eek.gif

As with everything fruit, i would blend the little red fuckers up to maximize surface area. Also preservatives can be a factor. I assume these are in a sugar syrup?

I am looking forward to hearing about the flavor. I have used Tart cherry puree before, but I stayed away from the sweet cherries due to reports of them being medicinal in the final product.

As to brewing an actual Kriek. You could get fairly close if you dont mind waiting. I would start out by drinking krieks...the more the better lol. You could also drink regular lambics as well just to get the yeast. Plus "Market Research"!!! Collecting the settled out yeast in the bottles and propagating them up. You may be able to get some funky cool stuff by doing this. You may be able to replicate the aging process with oak spirals and time? You can also get commercially available souring strains? This would also allow you to split the batch into other fruits like peach and raspberry!

Back