Check my RIS

only thing I can see is almost a pound of black malt, better add it late or cut back some or will over power the taste

I think for a RIS the bill looks fairly decent. However I would reduce the mash temp to no more than 154. At 157 I can't see you getting the 78% attenuation listed for WLP-007, I would guess closer to 70%. It just all depends if you want it on the dry side or sweet side.

I was caught off guard by the total lbs for the grain bill. I have seen 10 gallon batches with less grain. It is going to be a monster. I hope you have invested in a blow off tube, because a standard air lock is not going to cut it :D .

Thanks for quick feedback on it. I'll keep researching and tweaking.
I found some other recipes and wonder if I'm little overboard on everything not base malt... might tone the whole thing down a bit.
Yes, always use a big fat blow off tube .. with every beer, regardless. Better safe than sorry.

oh your right looks like a 10 gallon recipe cut down to 5 your going to want at max 15 pounds of grain or else might not fit in the mash tun lol

Oh, it will fit, already calculated to be sure.

Looks like lots of dark malt. Will be a strong roast flavor. But it is a RIS. Let me know how you come out with efficiencies and a big grain bill like that. I use a 10 gal tun and can only rinse enough to get 50 to 60% extraction running that much grain. I have been making a small weaker beer with the sugars left in grain.

I have tweaked the recipe since originally posting.

Head First said:
I have been making a small weaker beer with the sugars left in grain.
.. yes, that. realized the other day that this could be a two-for-one beer. :D

Back