chateau cara ruby malt anyone used this?

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,hope u having great saturday.
i have about 6kg/13lb? of chateau cara ruby malt crushed grain.
i bought it about a month ago,tried adding like 15% to my pilsner and gollden promise recipes,result wasnt good.
has anyone used this grain before or have specific advice on it,
have searched online,but not too many advice about it.
what would be a good beverage to brew with it ,using maybe 80-100% as the grain bill.
hops i have available are Pacific crest ,Pahto ,and Endeavour.
Thanks for any input,really appreciate it.

It appears to be an adjunct malt, I don't think that you would want to use it as a base malt. Note that even with a dark stout, or porter, you use a base malt, and then add your adjuncts.

Château Cara Ruby® malt imparts a rich caramel-sweet aroma and a toffee-like flavor, adding light amber to reddish color to beer. A distinguishing characteristic of all caramel malts is glassiness. This glassy endosperm creates the desirable non-fermentable components that give true caramel malt the ability to contribute mouthfeel, head retention, and extended beer stability.

Suitable in brown Ales, Brune des Flandres, Bocks, and Scottish Ales. Up to 20% of the mix.

i only have pilsner malt,would that be a good base malt,and if using it what basically would 15% of the cara be adding?

Pretty great video on using this malt.

They give you a lot of brewing options and percentages there. It sounds like the malt provides a lot of sweet-toffee-caramel flavors, so depending on how much of that you want, lean towards the appropriate end of the suggested scale.

I think it sounds great in a Tropical Stout.

Pretty great video on using this malt.

They give you a lot of brewing options and percentages there. It sounds like the malt provides a lot of sweet-toffee-caramel flavors, so depending on how much of that you want, lean towards the appropriate end of the suggested scale.

I think it sounds great in a Tropical Stout.
i watched that one before,thanks

I like making super-small mashes of crushed grains and let the results guide me as to how I want to use a particular malt.

Crush an ounce or two of both this malt and your Pilsner and put them in separate coffee cups. Fill the cups most of the way with 155F water, give them a stir and let them “mash” for an hour. No need to get too fussy with it.

Then taste them separately and in different combinations. Maybe 4:1 or 5:1 Pils:Cara Red ratios. Note the colors, sweetness etc. It won’t be exact, but i find it to be a useful starting point.

Back