"Cask" conditioninig

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Krimbos, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Krimbos

Krimbos Member

You may have seen this article in your inbox today

http://beerandbrewing.com/VNuWYicAACQA8 ... eb3011db65

(I like how they do not provide a link to buy them)

My question is this - how is this any different than using a 5l mini-keg? I have used them a couple of times, and the last time my beer came out very very good. I allowed it to condition for about a month and it was perfect.

Comments?

2. UgliestLemming

I've seen some forum posts around using these with beer engines. Interesting idea for a classic British pub style tap

3. GernBlanston

GernBlanston New Member

The keg does not collapse. If you naturally carbonate in a keg, then to access it would require CO2 to push the beer out, or gravity to drain it. CO2 push negates the "cask condition" title, and a gravity drain requires venting to the atmosphere, leading to prematurely stale beer. I'm not sure how a beer engine attaches, but ventilation is required for the beer to come out.

The collapsing container seems like a good solution for those who want true "cask conditioned " beer, but unable to consume an entire keg before it stales.

That being said,

It seems to me that as a home brewer, if the "Real Ale", or "Cask Conditioned" labels are that important. Why not just bottle?

4. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Agree with Gern: Bottle the beer instead. There's nothing magical about a cask, it's just a leaky wooden barrel that's been used so much it contributes no wood flavor but does contribute a few bacteria that hasten the aging process. And oxygen. "Casking" in a keg is just kegging beer. So unless you're going to consume quickly, bottle.