Carboys For Primary (and other questions)

Joshua Peterson

Trial Member
Reaction score
How would a guy go about pitching the yeast and getting a good stir in on the wort once it's dumped into a carboy?

Use a funnel for liquid yeast. Carefully pitch a dry pack by cutting off just the corner.

Don't bother stirring. Just shake or agitate it. I did just buy a degasser that has collapsible blades. It fits in the carboy, if stirring is your thing.

Thanks buddy! ...... It was one of those things where i was over thinking it. If it doesn't really need stirred i wont worry about it.

My other carboy question i have at the moment, when i decide to ferment some fruit with my wort.....
....... (five gallons of wort, two and a half gallons of wort in each carboy before adding the fruit)...... would i be better off buying and using two 5 gallon carboy's, or should i just go ahead and use my two 6 1/2 gallon ones that i already have? The other question i have that ties into that, should i buy that anti-foam additive to keep the goodness from clogging up my airlocks?

I'd just go ahead and buy a 10 gallon bucket..... but i can't find one that's reasonably priced that's ready to go. That's why i'm asking

Thanks buddy! ...... It was one of those things where i was over thinking it. If it doesn't really need stirred i wont worry about it.

My other carboy question i have at the moment, when i decide to ferment some fruit with my wort.....
....... (five gallons of wort, two and a half gallons of wort in each carboy before adding the fruit)...... would i be better off buying and using two 5 gallon carboy's, or should i just go ahead and use my two 6 1/2 gallon ones that i already have? The other question i have that ties into that, should i buy that anti-foam additive to keep the goodness from clogging up my airlocks?

I'd just go ahead and buy a 10 gallon bucket..... but i can't find one that's reasonably priced that's ready to go. That's why i'm asking

The yeast will distribute itself once fermentation starts - nothing to worry about! From your question, I'd guess you're worried about head space and oxygen. It's not an issue for primary fermentation. But use a blow-off tube to keep from blowing up your carboy. Top up or purge with CO2 in secondary to prevent oxidation. As far as the bucket, if you're doing five to six gallon batches, a seven gallon bucket will do just fine. The fruit will ferment but it shouldn't be so much that the bucket will overflow. Use a blow-off tube just to be sure.

Yea when actively fermenting there's a bit of turbulence in the fermentor. I'd love to see a mega breweries fermentation tank at peek fermentation activity!

Back