carbonation

windy

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi guys , just another question , I use 620ml bottles (old Chang bottles ) , do you think it takes longer to carbonate in larger bottles. because I generaly leave brews for 2 weeks before testing thats after 2 days in the fridge. But some are good ,some are not so good . Or is this a stupid question. I normally use about 6 grammes priming sugar per litre .
regards
windy

No, same time.
I use 375 ml and 750 ml bottles (ex-mosi) and I haven't noticed a difference.
With every batch, I put at least 1 beer in a plastic (ex-soda) bottle, so I can.keep a bit of an eye on carbonation (by squeezing this bottle)

As long as the head space is the same. Should be the same. Are you sure the caps sealed?

No, same time.
I use 375 ml and 750 ml bottles (ex-mosi) and I haven't noticed a difference.
With every batch, I put at least 1 beer in a plastic (ex-soda) bottle, so I can.keep a bit of an eye on carbonation (by squeezing this bottle)
thats a good idea, I ll put 1 bottle plastic next week .
windy

Hi guys , just another question , I use 620ml bottles (old Chang bottles ) , do you think it takes longer to carbonate in larger bottles. because I generaly leave brews for 2 weeks before testing thats after 2 days in the fridge. But some are good ,some are not so good . Or is this a stupid question. I normally use about 6 grammes priming sugar per litre .
regards
windy

There shouldn't be a difference with the bottle sizes. I did a 5 gallon keg once and it took the same amount time to naturally carb as bottles.

Are you thoroughly blending the sugar mixture with the beer when bottling? That could be the reason for the inconsistent carbonation levels. Just a thought.

If you are mixing sugar in the bottling bucket and not the bottle, it should not make a difference assuming an equivelent head space.

Back