Carbonation

windy

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I have problem with Carbonation in my bottles. I use the chart on brewers friend for the amount of sugar for 20 litres of beer or lager.
I wait for around 3 weeks after bottling ,but I never get the right amount of fizz [for the want of a better word] when cracking open a bottle, and pouring into a glass. any Ideas lads ?
regards
Windy

How much sugar are you using and what type?
Are you doing anything during fermentation that might kill or filter out all the yeast?

How much sugar are you using and what type?
Are you doing anything during fermentation that might kill or filter out all the yeast?

i use table sugar 86 grammes for 20 litres and yeast is 34/70 fermentis saflager, always finishes around 1.003

What temp are they being stored at? Too cold and the yeast can't do its thing. I've often found with this problem that a week or two in a warmer environment will do the trick.

i use table sugar 86 grammes for 20 litres and yeast is 34/70 fermentis saflager, always finishes around 1.003

20 liters is a bit over 5 gallons and I always used 5oz (141grams) of corn sugar for that size. it will carbonate, but will take longer. for 87grams, that looks like about 2.0vols co2

20 liters is a bit over 5 gallons and I always used 5oz (141grams) of corn sugar for that size. it will carbonate, but will take longer. for 87grams, that looks like about 2.0vols co2

i Thnk I will have to increase sugar next brew .thank you

What temp are they being stored at? Too cold and the yeast can't do its thing. I've often found with this problem that a week or two in a warmer environment will do the trick.
i live in thailand so the temp in the house is always about 25c

i live in thailand so the temp in the house is always about 25c

Cool, I'm very jealous :) Watch out for the boys in brown though, shouldn't be brewing at all over there :)

What's your reality for getting ingredients and equipment?

Cool, I'm very jealous :) Watch out for the boys in brown though, shouldn't be brewing at all over there :)

What's your reality for getting ingredients and equipment?
yea it is illegal here , but there are mulitpule home brew shops here , so i just order online

ok Iwill increase sugar next brew .thank you
Most kits and general advice state 5 oz for a 5 gallon batch but I always thought that was a bit too much carbonation... I'd probably try something between 110 - 120 grams on your next brew and then increase from there if you need more. Keep us posted on the results and your thoughts!

Most kits and general advice state 5 oz for a 5 gallon batch but I always thought that was a bit too much carbonation... I'd probably try something between 110 - 120 grams on your next brew and then increase from there if you need more. Keep us posted on the results and your thoughts!

yea, Ive just done another bottled another brew, added 105 gramms of table sugar , see how that goes should be better . Im scared to add too much ,because of bottle bombs . if this goes ok, I ll try 115 next brew . thanks again
windy

yea, Ive just done another bottled another brew, added 105 gramms of table sugar , see how that goes should be better . Im scared to add too much ,because of bottle bombs . if this goes ok, I ll try 115 next brew . thanks again
windy
You definitely don't want to really over do it. But it takes allot to make them explode. I have over carbed a batch and none exploded. They were all gushers when opened, but they survived

windy
105 sounds like a good starting point. Heck, it may even end being your go to number!

Back