Carbonation issues

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Brewer #116017, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Brewer #116017

Brewer #116017 New Member

Brewed my first batch (Beer Simply Beer IPA kit) and bottled it about 3 weeks ago. Tried a bottle after 2 weeks and it was flat so I waited another week and tried a few more. One was very good but another was still flat and yet another was way overcarbonated and undrinkable. I boiled the priming sugar from the kit and let it cool before putting in the bottling bucket. I then racked on top of the priming sugar but did not stir. Not sure why I'm getting such inconsistency. Ideas?

2. Leglesswondercat

Just had the same thing although not as extreme. All bottles carbonated but some more than others. I know the accepted wisdom is to batch prime for consistency but I switched back to 1/2 teaspoon for each 450/500ml bottle on the brew I bottled today. A dry funnel and measuring spoon, easy peasy. Against the grain but it works better for me, actually less worried about this brew, in a cardboard box. The other brew is in a plastic storage box, with lid, just in case. Hassle vs peace of mind for me.

3. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

That sugar is heavy stuff. Stir without sloshing. Bottle half your batch. Stir again.

J A likes this.
  4. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

I second Jeffpn: Stratification. You didn't get your priming sugar thoroughly mixed into your beer. Your choices are to accept the current situation or carefully decant all the bottles into a bottling bucket, add in some new priming sugar and re-bottle. You may need to degas the beer by stirring it vigorously - I wouldn't worry about oxidation since the CO2 will be coming out of the beer. Foamover is a greater fear - make sure you have a lot of head space! You're risking oxidation by doing this so drink what you rebottle quickly. And good luck with it.

5. Brewer #116017

Brewer #116017 New Member

Thanks for the advice. Will try stirring next time. My second kit was a 2 gallon that included the carb drops so hopefully those will be better. The first kit was only $20 so not a big loss if I only get a few drinkable bottles. I learned a lot throughout the whole process.