Carbonation drops

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Dodge, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Hi
    I recently kegged a farmhouse ale and I also filled up one 330ml bottle and one 500ml bottle for control.
    Since it was only two bottles i decided to use cooper carbonation drops. I used two drops in the 330ml bottle and 3 drops in the 500ml bottle.
    Will this cause overcaronation?
    The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking it might be infected.
    The small bottle really took off when i opened it. Foam all over the sink. And the bigger one too, only not that much and it came out slower.
    I hope this could be the case of overcarbonation, because I would hate to dump my keg down the the drain.

2. sbaclimber

sbaclimber Well-Known Member

3. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Thanks for the link.
    Guess I should have read the package a little better. :oops:
    I usually bulk prime.
    Still, I'm relieved.

4. Bribie G

Bribie G New Member

Another thing to consider is that Coopers make different sized drops for different markets. For example here in Australia our bottles traditionally come in 375ml and 750ml sizes ( thirteen Imperial Fluid Ounces and twenty six Imperial Fluid Ounces) so the Coopers drops are made to condition one to a small bottle or two to the "tallie".
    In the UK on the other hand where the common HB bottle is a pint, around 580 ml, they supply a different size drop.
    Not sure about the USA but as suggested, reading packaging should give the clue.

5. Dodge

Dodge New Member

It says on my package that it is one drop for 375ml an two for 750ml. So I guess I have the bigger sized drops.
    Fortunately it was only two bottles and I learned something too.
    My first thought was that my brew was infected, but it has to be overcarbonation. As sbaclimber said, I used twice the amount and then some. :D