Carbonatation IPA - Issues

Reaction score
Folks i did a ipa batch, and i have at moment a problem with the carbonatation, and i need help to fix this problem, what is possible to do ...

After fermentation , i left it 3 weeks conditionning and more 3 days in coldcrash at 0 celsius, so i prepared to bottle, and in my calculations i would have 22 litres.

For the primming i prepared a 100 ml solution with 100 gr of table sugar for the 22 litres of beer. After bottled, i got 36 bottles, and it storaged for carbonatation at 18 celsius, after 14 days e opened one bottle and the carbonatation is not enough, weak bubbles and not enough foam, it seems to me that the solution was not enough or i dont have enough strains for do the work, or i can have another problem ? What i should do to fix this problem ?

Its was my first time that it happen and to fix this problem i tought in open all bottles and add more sugar, or add more sugar with strains (yeast) ? What is the best thing to do ?

Folks i did a ipa batch, and i have at moment a problem with the carbonatation, and i need help to fix this problem, what is possible to do ...

After fermentation , i left it 3 weeks conditionning and more 3 days in coldcrash at 0 celsius, so i prepared to bottle, and in my calculations i would have 22 litres.

For the primming i prepared a 100 ml solution with 100 gr of table sugar for the 22 litres of beer. After bottled, i got 36 bottles, and it storaged for carbonatation at 18 celsius, after 14 days e opened one bottle and the carbonatation is not enough, weak bubbles and not enough foam, it seems to me that the solution was not enough or i dont have enough strains for do the work, or i can have another problem ? What i should do to fix this problem ?

Its was my first time that it happen and to fix this problem i tought in open all bottles and add more sugar, or add more sugar with strains (yeast) ? What is the best thing to do ?
18 C is a little cool - give it some more time.

As Nosybear said, 18C is low for carbonating. Either give it a few more weeks or warm it up to 20 or 21C.

Carbonation - provided everything was done properly - will be created in 4-5 days, so when you do not have carbonation at 14 days, then something happened. 100 gr Sugar for 22 L is not enough. It will yield 2.0 vol CO2, which is verging on uninspiringly flat.

Yeast works best at warmer temperatures. Keeping bottles at 20C/68F for 4-7 days will yield pleasent carbonation for any beer, even higher ABV.

Carbonation - provided everything was done properly - will be created in 4-5 days, so when you do not have carbonation at 14 days, then something happened. 100 gr Sugar for 22 L is not enough. It will yield 2.0 vol CO2, which is verging on uninspiringly flat.

Yeast works best at warmer temperatures. Keeping bottles at 20C/68F for 4-7 days will yield pleasent carbonation for any beer, even higher ABV.

I used this tools to calculate the amount of sugar

https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

and for british style ales is 1.5 to 2.0. There is another guidelines to based on ?

upload_2018-12-16_9-35-5.png

I think the calculator is referring to the temperature of the beer when you bottle. After capping, store at a higher temperature to assure better carbonation in the bottle .. and faster carbonation. In my experience 4 to 5 days is too fast. I'm fine sampling a couple in 4 to 5 days but I prefer 7 to 10. Just my experience. YMMV

" and for british style ales is 1.5 to 2.0. There is another guidelines to based on ? " - you need to sample styles of British beer actually made in UK, then sample British style beers brewed elsewhere and then brew your own and see where your taste in carbonation lies.

For me, anything between 1.5 and 2.0 vol CO2 is too low to make it enjoyable. I can go for maybe one old-school low carbonated beer, but not more. You can of course follow any guidelines from the Internet, but they are guidelines and do not represent your actual taste in beer, provided you know what you like.

Back