Carapils v. Carafoam

soccerdad

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm looking to gain from your wisdom and experience.
I started brewing all grain about 100 years ago and the conventional wisdom at the time said "Carapils at 5% or less will help your beer get a nice head and retain it." A few years later - or rather a few years ago - folks started saying, "It doesn't really do anything." I might have even seen a post from Yooper where she wrote, " I don't use it anymore."
I'm wondering if any of you use it? For a pillowy head - or another reason? Do you value it in certain recipes? Do you associate any taste or flavor with it?
More recently I have seen posts where folks say, "If you want that foamy head, use Carafoam."
Do any of you use it? If so, how do you rate it?
I actually have some of each. I bought a pound of Carafoam when I heard it was the real deal magic that Carapils was supposed to have lo those many years ago.
Here is part of why I ask ... I made a Steam Beer a few weeks back using SF Lager yeast. It had a bit of Carapils in the recipe so I added it to the grist. I packaged it two days ago. I put a gallon in bottles and 2 gallons in a 3G keg. It will need to lager and condition a few weeks. I put gas on the keg, but just 10 psi and it's only been there 50 hours or so. But I had to sneak a taste and was surprised to see a nice white head on a beer that can't yet be fully carbed. Tasted good but a little green so I'm thinking even better in 2 to 4 weeks. Might the Carapils have had that impact?
I'm interested in your thoughts.

I have carapils in many of my recipes, but cuurently have carafoam in my carapils storage container.
My understanding is that they are essentially the same malt.
Sorry I can't say that it does, or does not make a difference.
I don't know if I would still get the below effects without it, but I see no reason to experiment with that.
These two pictures are different pulls from the same batch from June of 2019, the same recipe that I brewed yesterday.
We will see if I get the same effect this go around.

upload_2021-7-26_21-38-9.png

upload_2021-7-26_21-38-40.png

It doesn't really do anything. It's like a placebo effect.

If you really want to improve head, add a bit of rye. Like 10% or thereabouts.

Good point. I've never seen carapils - that I recall - in a recipe that includes wheat, rye, or flaked barley.
Another thing that I heard - saw it in a video featuring a California brewer - is that dextrine malt is a needed addition when using kveik yeasts. And Carapils is a dextrine malt, right?

I stopped using it a good while ago. My experience was that it didn’t do anything noticeable. I use wheat malt or flaked barley if I’m looking to add something that I believe is “foam positive”. Might have to try rye as well, as per Dave’s recommendation.

I don't use it any more. In my Helles, International and Czech pils I have 3-5% Carahell for additional flavor instead of Carapils. Head retention is dependent on a lot of factors, yeast, grain bill, hops, etc. To get enough dextrine to have an effect, I found that I needed so much it was starting to make the beer slightly sweet on the finish. I used dextrine extract to get it pretty high. Apparently a lot dextrine in the beer can come off as sweet to some people.

Just brew a great tasting beer and the head will take care of itself.

I use wheat I don't use carapils In any recipie havnt ordered any for years.

I use wheat I don't use carapils In any recipie havnt ordered any for years.
Alright, so I guess the presence of 810 grams (close to two pounds) of flaked wheat likely has more to do with the head in the beer I posted above then. Learning, always learning.

Alright, so I guess the presence of 810 grams (close to two pounds) of flaked wheat likely has more to do with the head in the beer I posted above then. Learning, always learning.
That's been my experience hey but if it works for you I say stick with it. This brewing aint a one size fits all type approach.

I have used Carapils at about 4.2% in my Herm’s Amber Ale, a beer that I like enough to have brewed 7 times. There is no telling what it would be without, as I’ve always brewed it with.

I use it in my blonde and I'd say I got more head using english ale yeast over kveik.

I don't bother with it anymore. i adjust mouthfeel by yeast choice, mash thickness and mash temp. Head seems to be good with all beers

Last edited:
Weighing in on the foam stability retention thing another great head retainer is carbonation level to I've found take for instance this effervescent ginger Ninger Saison
20210728_182433.jpg

This has 500g of Torrified Wheat in it but the carbonation will keep that foam supported most the way down the glass.
Proof in the pudding
20210728_184101.jpg

Last edited:
I appreciate that Craig. At the same time, bear in mind that what we have gathered here is anecdotal versus scientific. I would love to hear your experience taking the CP out and keeping the flaked wheat in. I am going to try taking the CP out of that Steam Beer and see what I get. I'll try to remember to report back.

Back