canI make an Irish red with what I got?

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Or other suggestions to finish off bits and pieces of malt?
- pilsner malt
- crystal
- amber
- roasted barley

I figure pilsner & amber would get me on the way to a nice belgian blonde or tripel, but I woulsd like to try a different style and esp something with roasted barley

Just kitchen sink it. Use some cascade and poof...... Beer

@Zambezi Special Certainly! Here are a few suggestions for using the different malt varieties you mentioned:

1. Pilsner Malt: Pilsner malt is commonly used as a base malt in many beer styles. You can use it as the foundation for a variety of beers, such as a classic German Pilsner, Czech Pilsner, or even a light-bodied Pale Ale.

2. Crystal Malt: Crystal malt adds sweetness, body, and color to beer. You can use it to create a range of styles, including Amber Ales, Brown Ales, Scottish Ales, or even a Red IPA. Experiment with different proportions of crystal malt to achieve the desired level of sweetness and color.

3. Amber Malt: Amber malt imparts a toasty, biscuit-like flavor and amber color to beer. It can be used in English Bitters, Mild Ales, Amber Ales, or even as an adjunct in stouts or porters to add complexity.

4. Roasted Barley: Roasted barley is commonly used in stouts and porters to contribute a rich, coffee-like flavor and dark color. You can use it as the primary malt in a Dry Irish Stout or incorporate it in smaller amounts for a Robust Porter or a darker variation of a Brown Ale.
Remember to consider the overall recipe and balance when using different malt varieties. It's always a good idea to consult recipe resources or brewing software to ensure you're using appropriate proportions and achieving the desired flavor profile for your chosen beer style. Happy brewing!

You can probably get close to an American version with the California yeast. You might need just a little Chocolate malt.
Recipe Red Eyes (American Red Ale) – Brew for Ukraine (UK)
The above is the Brew for Ukraine recipe. We did have someone donate and make this locally, but it will give you an idea.
You can probably modify and get close with what you have. I like the Guiness Strain yeast in that style, but you can go cleaner.

Thanks all!
I'll brew it after the 2nd q2 brew
(Or should I say: I brew it after B4 :D)

Unless I get to go to town to but new malt before that one is finished

Back