Can I cold Crash?

Brewer #55332

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello, 1st time posting. I'm a beginner brewer doing all grain. I am always trying to perfect my processes and try new things that I read and hear from brewing friends. I have a question. I brewed a cream ale a week and a half ago on Friday and the 2 week fermenting processes is about to end ( yahhhh ) I wanted to Keg this on Friday but I notice with this type of beer I still have a yeast/trub/foam layer on top floating. I wanted to cold crash today (wednesday) to drop this to the bottom. My question is will it hurt or hinder the fermentation process to do this 2 days before kegging? Or should I wait until it drops naturally.

you should take a gravity reading, if its with in a point or 2 one way or the other its fine, sometimes the white layer doesn't drop

In general, cold crashing should not be necessary. Your beer should clarify on its own. I don't like to cold crash because it could stop fermentation if done too early, leaving residual sugars that could result in bottle bombs, the exception being very pale beers that would show any trace of chill haze. A well-made beer will clarify at room temperature given enough time.

Back