Can I brew an 8 or 9 gallon batch?

One thing to keep in mind with this tight a mash will be efficiency. You get sugars but just how much you can extract will be the mission im guessing 65% hope im wrong.
Good luck !:)

Mash at the 1.5 qt/lb. then when you pull the bag, set it in a colander placed in a bigger bowl. you can then pour some additional waster over the grain bag, let the bag drip out and add the runnings back to the boil pot. You can sparge to volume this way and or continue to add runnings during the boil. Once you get past the hot break and the 1st hop addition, you can bring the pot up pretty close to the top.
Good Luck,
Brian

Didn't want to litter up the what did you do today thread...
I posted the following last night:
Kegged 4 gallons(ish) of the NEIPA tonight. First time racking to a keg, what an ordeal! I guess there is no better way to learn than to "do". I ended up racking in through the gas inlet... Once it started, I just let it go, hope it doesn't cause any issues with the beer. I precharged the keg with CO2, and used CO2 to rack from the carboy to the keg. It is in the fridge at 30 psi for the next 2 days now.
Ozarks said
too much splashing I hope you degassed it several times
you said you racket it through the gas tube? or did you mean serving tube ? the gas tube is only 4 inches tall and it will splash on the bottom of the keg, the serving tube is right on the bottom and is the correct one to use if doing it that way, either way you need to purge the keg several times to degas the oxygen otherwise it will have the oxygen off taste later
Chico said
Are you degassing before you start filling or after? I have been filling my kegs using a racking cane to keep the spout under the surface to keep from splashing then I seal up the keg and degas several times by venting the gas side then reconnecting the gas. Fill to serving pressure and chill for seven days.
Trialben said
Heck it can only get better from here;) sounds like your learning curve is like mine CT the school of hard knocks:p.

I suppose of all styles to rack like that thats the one you dont want to do it with. Itll be beer regardless and kegging is by far easier in my honest opinion so keep at it youll be a pro in no time. Theres nothing too it really almost fool proof:rolleyes:.
Crunk said
This common issue is being combated with pressure transfers nowadays. This is where i can't say enough about process.

I love the science side of brewing, and i have continually refined my process along with ALOT OF CUSTOMIZATION of my system to help with that process. I would be happy to explain my entire process in detail for any of you fine fellow brewers to read and disseminate and make any or all parts of my process your own.

Process process process.

I had to get this batch kegged before going away so it will be ready for a guys night when I get back. Perfect time to try to do something you have never done before... right?
It was a bit of a comedy of errors, but I did make sure the keg was purged with CO2, and then I used the CO2 to rack to the keg. When I realized that I was racking through the wrong post on the keg it was pretty much too late to change, so I let it go the rest of the way. Never really thought about it, but I probably should have let it settle down before putting it in the fridge with the CO2 set at 30psi, but I didn't. It will be what it will be, live and learn.

Thanks for the responses over there in the other thread guys.
Certainly learned a lot last night!

Upside is that I have another 4 gallon batch of the same brew sitting in my other carboy, when I return from my vacation I will dry hop it, cold crash it, and then maybe bottle it, or maybe try kegging it again.

Cheers

Well, Wednesday was the night, the reviews from my picky friends was overwhelming. My buddy's daughter didn't believe that I made it...

I will try posting a picture of it tomorrow, my phone is not cooperating with me right now...

IMG_20180808_1645576~2.jpg

Back