Can I adjust beer OG after yeast has been added

bassin75

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi, Last night I pitched my yeast into an IPA I was brewing that had an OG of 1.092. I regret not checking the OG in the brewing calculator first. This morning I found to be in style for an imperial IPA I should have added more water to get an OG of 1.085.I need to add at least 1/4 to 1/3 of a gallon to the 5 gallon wort I made. Is it too late to correct the OG after fermentation has started? If I can do this should I use boiled distilled water?

yes you can, its the same as extract or partial boil in a small pot, I would boil and cool any water but Ive without with good results too

make sure your water temp is roughly the same temp as the wort

Hi, Thank you for the reply. When the primary fermenter is finished fermenting. I think I will chill the primary fermenter to help clarify the beer. We added a lot of hops including whole leaf. Then I will add the boiled then cooled spring water when we move the wort to the secondary fermenter . Hopefully this will fix my mistake.

Tight lines,

Bassin75

you don't want to add it after fermentation, you cant stir it without adding oxygen back into the beer

I just got a video from my son in law of the beer fermenting. The airlock is at full full speed and may need to be changed. At this point I will just leave the beer as is and enjoy a BIG IPA. This is the first time I used a beer calculator . Its a impressive bit of software, you can see the wort character change with each addition.
Thank you for the help.

Back