Calculating water

Jerryskate

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Another new-to-brewing question (I will try to not post too much of these) - but one of the thing I cant really figure out is the boil/batch size calculation.

Im looking at the recipe template here and trying to build my own Recipe but unsure with the water.

I brewed a batch recently, started with 15L (4 gallon) water, mashed it and sparged until I had 15.5L (4.1 Gallon) wort, boiled it and ended up with 11L (2.9 Gallon) that I then fermented - with a correct OG and the beer turned out correct as per the recipe. Don't know how much this says about my efficiency but might be of help.

My goal is to end up with somewhere around 15-18L (4-4.8 Gallon) of wort to ferment. My boilpot has a limit of 30L (8 Gallon) , my mash can take 40L (10.5 Gallon) and the fermentor 30L (8 Gallon).

As I understand when I have my efficiency and correct water calculated in the recipe template, its seems quite easy to play around with the hops and fermentables to achive desired IBU and ABV.

But how do I understand the water ratio?

the water is related to your profile settings, it will not be correct until you change these https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/profile/brewsettings,

then you put in the recipe the batch size starting and ending amounts, click the more tab make sure that equipment profile is selected then go to the recipe tools / quick water requirements it will tell you based on your profile and recipe, with that said if your vessels aren't big enough its fine just add the extra water to the fermenter

Thanks, missed that!

Still not totally clear to me.. I filled in my batch size Im aiming for (which is the amount of wort that will be fermented right?) but unsure how to calculate the boil size?

Will take a few brews to get the numbers dialled in .

I work backwards from my FV volume , the only cheat to calculate deadspace and boil off is to do a dry run

That will depend on how hard you boil and how much gets left behind in the kettle , we all at sometime added extra water or LDM or extended boil time

Ok, thanks for the reply. My last boil was 15L, ended up with 11L after 60m. Recipe said 10, had correct OG so went with that. So I lost 27% basically in the boil.. Ill use that as a reference for the next batch then, that would be the correct way to do it then?

Calculate your losses and add them to your final volume

Back