Cal Common-ish question

Texas Ale Works

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I brewed up a hybrid hybrid Cream Ale with Amber Hybrid IBUs.
Fermenting at 12C (53F) and will dry hop at some point. 2 oz Citra 1oz Cascade.

Question is when? Going to ferment and "Lager" in the primary and will do a D-Rest as well.

See Below

Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 4.26%
IBU (tinseth): 31.6
SRM (morey): 4.71

FERMENTABLES:
16 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (72.7%)
3 lb - German - Vienna (13.6%)
3 lb - German - Munich Light (13.6%)

HOPS:
1 oz - El Dorado, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.2, Use: First Wort, IBU: 17.04
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 9.4
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 5.17

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.75 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
White Labs - San Francisco Lager Yeast WLP810

Your yeast will work down to about 50 degrees. "Lagering" at or just below that temperature will help clean up anything that resulted from primary fermentation but remember, lagering is a cleanup phase! It may help but won't get rid of anything produced in primary fermentation. So if you're given a choice, control your primary fermentation temps closely. I see primary fermentation temperature is missing from your description which I always find strange. I'll use all caps for emphasis: PRIMARY FERMENTATION TEMPERATURE IS THE SECOND STRONGEST PREDICTOR OF GOOD BEER AFTER SANITATION!!! You can get a drinkable beer by masking fermentation errors with spices or hops, blending or other means of covering flavors but controlling your fermentation is the one best thing you can do to ensure a quality beer.

Now to your question: WLP810 should like a primary at 60-65 degrees. To "lager", drop the temp down to about 50 over the course of at least three days and hold for a couple weeks. Taste it as you go - when it's good and clear, it's good. You don't need to lager with this yeast but it will help drop the yeast out of suspension once it's done.

Back