Buying an Ebike.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking about buying an Ebike.
I have no idea when it comes to Ebikes at all but I've been thinking of getting one for awhile.
I'm looking at buying a conversion kit to convert my existing Merida Matt20 Mountain bike.
Looking at this one

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1852774...rentrq:ffd4fdf817e0ad390fae1268fff8dae8|iid:1
The kit I'm looking at is a rear hub motorised one it looks like you just take out your existing 26" wheel and slot this motorised back wheel in.

Another thing is batteries
Electric motor wattage
Throttle control
And peddle assist.

Has anyone on here got an Ebike?

What do you like dislike about it?
Cheers all I know this ain't brewing related but I gotta admit some of you guys are pretty tech savvy and well this could be an interesting topic to discuss on the side.:)

I used to work for a company that happened to also sell an Ebike. I think the biggest thing to consider is what you want from it.

A commuter in a suit going 3 miles has a different need from one going 12 miles. And even different from an old guy needing an occasional boost up a hill and a young guy wanting to get some help offroad.

The more help you want, the more battery watt-hours/motor watts you want. And the more it costs.

So let's hear about how you ride and how you want electrons to help.

Here's an American magazine's 's take on them.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...0QFnoECAcQAg&usg=AOvVaw1znEXVsTychFWe-Q4a54ej

For what it's worth...I think the kits an idea that'll let you budget it and the ones I have seen are pedal assist indeed since the power transfer is a roller that engages the rear wheel via friction not a belt or gear. I'd check out any bike forums on the web for some objective opinions along with the haters.

I used to work for a company that happened to also sell an Ebike. I think the biggest thing to consider is what you want from it.

A commuter in a suit going 3 miles has a different need from one going 12 miles. And even different from an old guy needing an occasional boost up a hill and a young guy wanting to get some help offroad.

The more help you want, the more battery watt-hours/motor watts you want. And the more it costs.

So let's hear about how you ride and how you want electrons to help.
I'll be dropping my daughter off to child care I think its a couple of K's from home just want help up the hills is all and I think it'll encourage me to get out more on the bike.
Even thinking if my Ebike conversions a success I'll get one for the missus

Let's face it most all of us don't like riding up hill :).

I was initially taking her around the corner to day care but now after some complications I'm taking her across town.
I've got work to push back my start time so there is a little riding (pun intended) on me getting the job done efficiently.

I can't take her in my work van airbags an all.
Cheers

Oh I like that the rear hub drive and front for that matter don't change the peddling dynamics but that centre motor crank mount rids the front derailer.
Also it looks more difficult to Install.

Yes I'm DIY

I have an electric scooter I ride around home and the bike trails. You know the ones that say "no motorized vehicles "..
I take it with me when we go camping to cruise around the park a bit but the tires are too small for gravel roads and such. Soooo... I bought an eletric bike. It folds in half to stash away for hauling, which I havent tried yet. And big fat tires to handel the gravel better.
Because of the ice and cold outside since I bought it I have only taken it out once. Ok , I hate the cold.
I was surprised the first time that the power came on by peddling or just kind of moving the pedals as it has a thumb throttle. It was already icy on the driveway an it was kind of an " Oh Chit" moment like why wont it slow down.

Sorry, I am among the haters. It is strictly for the exercise that I ride. If I can’t pedal up a slope, I can always dismount and hike the bike. Being an avid hiker, and sometime rider, I have seen far too many examples of e-bike riders who have no business being out on the trails, especially considering they are technically not allowed on the trails I frequent. My wife often argues in favor of e-bikes, but generally in the commuter context.
End of my rant.

Chill, have a brew!

Sorry, I am among the haters. It is strictly for the exercise that I ride. If I can’t pedal up a slope, I can always dismount and hike the bike. Being an avid hiker, and sometime rider, I have seen far too many examples of e-bike riders who have no business being out on the trails, especially considering they are technically not allowed on the trails I frequent. My wife often argues in favor of e-bikes, but generally in the commuter context.
End of my rant.
Yeah your hard core man:).
I respect your views too part of me is having that inner conflict as well "if you can't just ride across town what's wrong with you" :D but this is three days a week for the inevitable future come rain hail or sweltering heat.
So knowing I've got some assistance is gunna make this task more enjoyable :)
I think there is a huge market in ebike e anything travel.
What's fuel worth over there.
Since Rona fuel is spikeing over here i bet this alone will get people off petrol and onto electric be it car driven or bike scooter ect ect.
if i commuted to an office style job id seriously consider this as my alternate option.

i ve already found the 1000w version I was thinking of isn't legal in Queensland.
Law is 250w continuous power and not over 25km/h
Ok my thinking is 250w should draw less power therefore extending the battery life so I can go further.

Cheers all for your comments so far.

I’m just a purist at heart, and have been riding bicycles (the kind you have to pedal) for most of my life. Back in 2018 when I was shopping for my current bike, another customer (a fat man), told me I was wasting my money shopping for a pedal powered bike. I have pretty strong legs and stamina, and I know my limits. The places I like to ride prohibit motorized cycling. He tried to push his ideas on me, that riding uphill should be easy - probably why he is a fat man. I know of too many people who have hurt themselves e-biking. Not for me, thanks.

I've only got a regular bike as well so I have no educated opinion on this. There is something to the commuter aspect that I like, but I barely use my existing bike so I shouldn't be spending more money.

I know the feeling , Goldwing last year electric scooter this year. Can't wait for a bit warmer weather to try ouy thr e bike.

Im waiting till they get the Mr Fusion version. :D

A heads up I ordered the 250watt kit should be here In a week or so looking forward to getting out on the bike with this installed:).

I've gone from a Yamaha FZS1000 to a 250watt e bike lol!
Lol

"No really, i AM pushing the throttle"

Unboxing
20220303_180029.jpg

With the daughter and her dolly's!
Battery on the door mat 38v 14 ah 26inch wheel in the box with 250w hub motor and all the dodges In the other box.
Will put this on the bike and snap a pic.:)

Lernt a thing or two today about cassets free wheel and er well there are two types and one is old school and that's the type ebay uses on their hub motor rims...

Took me a bit longer than expected to get this all hooked up more than meets the with push bikes.
Anyone looking to buy one the Ebrake levers only work if your gear selector is sepperate to you brakes you can guess which ones I own:rolleyes:so no brakes:eek: well sort of I'm still using the bikes ones the Ebrake just cuts power to the motor via little switch in the lever mechanism.
I can do that with the throttle ;).
20220305_111908.jpg

Close up of hub motor in with disk break on and casset all installed.

20220305_155509.jpg

Pretty slick no.
20220305_155521.jpg

The battery detaches via key lock cool.
I did 8.5km test riding it one with the girl on the back and not a notch of battery used!

I'm so impressed with it being the smallest of all the motors.
Yeah it doesn't rocket you up hill but with a bit of peddling you maintain easily 20km/h up a fair slope havnt tested it on real steep stuff.
But took the girl for a spin around the block this arvo and hardly broke out a sweat and had a ball doing it!
Display.
20220305_184018.jpg

Battery
20220305_184032.jpg

I didn't install the pedal assist on the bike I'm just using the thumb throttle. To install the pedal assist you gotta take your crank off and I don't have the tool pluss i rekon it goes alright without it...
20220305_184345.jpg

I think these Ebikes are The GO.
I think it makes riding really fun and enjoyable
And I'm already thinking "oh I wonder if I can ride there on it".
You know say you need milk from the shop bam off you go.
Picking up a few takeaways too easy.

I'm definitely getting one for the Wife I feel this will change our life's I'm looking forward to going cruising with her and the bub down the foreshore now!

Back