Bulk grains

Brew Cat

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Any good tips on buying and storing grains in full sacks. Looks like I'll be going that route now that I have space.

shipping is included in this companies price so they say free shipping lol looks like most items are out of stock
http://www.fiftypoundsack.com

most companies will sell full sack grains, just have to search for 50 pound barley or similar, as far as storing keep it dry and sealed especially if kept outdoors, mice love grain and will eat through bags

I've seen folks have good luck with those large tupperware type storage bins. They just toss the bags in there, as many as will fit, and put the lid on and tuck them under a pool table or in a corner somewhere, and they seem fine. We are talking whole grains right? and not ones that have been ground. I've kept ground (or "cracked") grains for probably a lot longer than the brewsites and manufacturers recommend, but I've never had any trouble as long as I kept the mice out of it. I stored some cracked pale malt grains in the shipping back for 3 months before using them, and I couldn't tell any difference in the final outcome. They were kept inside, in controlled temps (~ 71°F) and in a dark place.

I wish I had the storage space for bulk storage, and the need for brewing that much to warrant it. *sigh* I'll just have to keep ordering my grains as I need them and hope nothing comes up in RL that prevents me from using them in time before they go bad. I think I'd cry if I had to throw out 16# of cracked grains. Just cry..

I was thinking o just packing the open bags in a large air tight bin. I was going to leave them in the bags since I will have more than one type in there. Eventually I guess I will store them separate when I build up a supply. I'm only going to crack them as needed do hopefully they will last. I live in southern CT. I have two local home brew stores I use they start at $50 a sack. Some people have told me a lot of breweries will sell grain cheaper. I have at least 6 in a 30 mile radius so I'm going to make some calls. How do you all handle specialty grain is if worth buying in bulk or just as needed.

I buy 5 pounds each of specialty grains, put then in a 2 gallon freezer bag then inside a 6-Quart Latch Box, the 2-row bags are in 30 gallon plastic barrels with screw top lids, I keep 15 pounds or so in a 30-Quart Ultra Latch Box for easier access and 45 to 55 is a normal price by the way for most base grains

Attachments

• WP_20151209_003.jpg
    WP_20151209_003.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 695
I was surprised, I was able to divide a 55lb bag into to 2 30 quart containers "above on the right" no bags just dry grain but it works for now

Do you store the grains in the sacks until you are ready to brew or put them right in the bins?

Ozarks, I am immensely jealous of your setup there.

If only I had the space...

Brew Cat said:
Do you store the grains in the sacks until you are ready to brew or put them right in the bins?
right in the bins, but in ziplock bags, usually on a base grain I leave the store sack but have a sealed top, this time I didn't just to see if I how much I can get in those 30 quarts, its fine though i have it in climate controlled area

you can fit about 7 or 8 pounds in those 6 quart containers inside a bag, I cant get all of the air out so just stay at 5

Anyone no the best humidity level for storing grains?

between 50° and 80° F should be fine and 50% humidity is what I use for mine, its really the moisture in the grain that mater's, I have had some dry grain stored too long, went through the crusher like rocks, a way to get around this if it happens is called conditioning the grain, basically you moisten the grain before crushing evenly but not mushy or wet

Back