Buck You IPA

I assume BIAB, yes?
Do you drain, then add sparge water, or do you remove grains and drop them into a bucket to sparge?
I like the recipe

I assume BIAB, yes?
Do you drain, then add sparge water, or do you remove grains and drop them into a bucket to sparge?
I like the recipe
I wasn't sure what his plan was for last night, so I just guessed a batch sparge.
When I dropped off the grain bill at 6pm, he was set up in the cooler Mash Tun.
This would then go as I designed it with a single batch sparge. He may do better on efficiency, but that's fine.
He had trouble transferring the Cream Ale he had in his fermentor last night and he didn't text me until 10pm, so the batch just got chilled and covered until I could help him out at 6:45 this morning.
Cream ale Kegged, IPA dropped right onto the yeast.
It'll be off and running in under 12 hours, I'm sure.
Sorry @Craigerrr, I got a little off track there!
If I BIAB, I typically pull the grains, then dunk them into another pot of prepared hot water, give them a few minute stir and then pull the bag and set on a colander to finish draining. Add everything together and then roll with it.
Cheers All,
Brian

Thats pretty close to my standard golden lager! Interesting to bump it up to 7%!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1427656

When you say hop stand what do you mean? when i write my recipes, i like to add whirlpool hops, I toss them in when i kick on the whirlpool(depending on the temp).

I toss a lot of 0 min hops or flameout hops, but i have not found a good way of accounting for them in this software. I generally drop my whirlpool down to 185 and spin it for 20 mins, rest it for 20 and then knock it. I call it whirlpool and adjust the temp up to 212 but i dont add a time(it only gives me about 5% usage on them). Would it make sense to call them something different?

Thats pretty close to my standard golden lager! Interesting to bump it up to 7%!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1427656

When you say hop stand what do you mean? when i write my recipes, i like to add whirlpool hops, I toss them in when i kick on the whirlpool(depending on the temp).

I toss a lot of 0 min hops or flameout hops, but i have not found a good way of accounting for them in this software. I generally drop my whirlpool down to 185 and spin it for 20 mins, rest it for 20 and then knock it. I call it whirlpool and adjust the temp up to 212 but i dont add a time(it only gives me about 5% usage on them). Would it make sense to call them something different?
On a home setting the hops just get added when the target temp is hit. Stirred for a couple of minutes and then left alone until the stand is over. Then chilling is resumed

On a home setting the hops just get added when the target temp is hit. Stirred for a couple of minutes and then left alone until the stand is over. Then chilling is resumed
since i toss the hops at 212 and immediately start the cooling(down to 185). I wonder how to add that to judge the IBU pickup? My whirlpool is spinning the entire time(20 mins total). It generally takes 10 mins to go from 212 to 185(depending on my street water temp). So maybe i should call the 185 addition a hop stand for 10 mins and the flame out addition a hop stand for 20 min @ 185.

I will do that for a couple known recipes and see how it changes things.

since i toss the hops at 212 and immediately start the cooling(down to 185). I wonder how to add that to judge the IBU pickup? My whirlpool is spinning the entire time(20 mins total). It generally takes 10 mins to go from 212 to 185(depending on my street water temp). So maybe i should call the 185 addition a hop stand for 10 mins and the flame out addition a hop stand for 20 min @ 185.

I will do that for a couple known recipes and see how it changes things.
I think it's not so much about ibu but rather flavor, I've found adding the hops at 170 then whirlpooling gives a better flavor, i've even tried it at 145 and much better flavor

Back