Brown Ale

Cracked a test bottle Saturday, still not ready....

Sharp alcohol finish. The fusel alcohol is possible as it did start warm in the fermentor.

One of my previous batches had this and it did subside after an extra week or two of bottle conditioning.......fingers crossed o_O

Sharp alcohol finish. The fusel alcohol is possible as it did start warm in the fermentor.

One of my previous batches had this and it did subside after an extra week or two of bottle conditioning.......fingers crossed o_O
Buy some kviek and keep it warm :D

Ok
088842FC-6852-47CE-A0F4-0C266E2A505D.png
So tried another bottle tonight.

kaboom, the tester and all other bottles were bombs, upon popping the cap would shoot beer a good 3’ in the air. Entertaining and sad at the same time. Thoughts?

I be never had a gusher, but I have had slow lava flows. My issue was picking up too much trub into my bottle bucket from the fermenter as I do not secondary. Other possibilities are incomplete fermentation or priming miscalculation.

Ahhhh, I never thought of too much trub in BB. I did notice these bottles had a lot more sediment than my first few batches

The gusher COULD be trub: The same effect as dropping Mentos into a soda bottle. The trub provides nucleation sites, when the pressure on the bottle is relieved the CO2 leaves solution violently, causing the gusher. It has happened to me: A strawberry hefeweizen. I opened it and it blew the beer all over the kitchen. There was enough left to taste and sure enough, there were the classic harsh off-flavors of an infected batch. So a double-dip is possible, too much trub and an infection. You can also get microscopic crystals of apatite, oxalate or other insoluble compounds from your salt additions - these are even more effective at blowing beer out of the bottle than trub.

Upon seeing the pictures, my first thought was that you have created a bottle bomb factory. My second thought was maybe flip-tops are less susceptible to that. What about putting them all in the fridge for a day or two, to reduce temp and therefore pressure, then pop the top and immediately reseal? That would get rid of the excess pressure and resealing the bottles before the foam subsides would virtually eliminate oxygen intrusion.

But if the fusel alcohols make it undesirable to drink, it may be best to just dump them.

That actually would have been sweet to try....the 1/4 or so of liquid volume left after the beerfountain tasted good, a lot of the weird alcohol flavours I was initially experiencing was no longer present.

Oh no. So disappointing Brain. The only time I’ve had significant overflow was when I had a very mild phenolic microbe introduced (mild clove flavor). Since sugar is pretty easy to measure, the most likely causes of gushers that bad are incomplete fermentation and infection.

Back