Brewzilla? Anyone have one and can give some advice?

@Yooper - @Ozgib's advice is certainly feasible... Even a large 10 gallon pot with a spigot, false bottom and a 240v heating element would work... Especially if you bought a nylon biab bag to fit - there was a guy making and selling them via homebrew talk forum - I still have one and found it very sturdy and worthwhile.

Hi,

I bought a Brewzilla. I was disappointed. I have attempted to calibrate the thermostat numerous times, and I mean 8-10 times with Ice water, boiling water and everything in between and it remains rouge. The temperature often under reads and then suddenly its way over 10 degrees and more. I would describe it as a hopeless bit of kit. I did discuss the problem with Kegland the maker and the distributer. They were trying to get me to buy another thermometer at a huge price. Essentially the problem was not theirs it was mine. I use it now with a dome bottom and I work the system manually switching the element on and off manually. I think there is a design error in the equipment, in that it is tall and thin. The temperature striation between top and bottom is huge without stirring continuously. I would get a cheap wide Chinese urn $ 100 and an ink bird $50 and fit it with a false bottom $ 30 and a nylon brew bag $ 15 . Sometimes simpler is better. In this case it certainly is.
I found that the calibration was 9 degrees F off, but now it is spot on - so long as I recirculate more or less continuously. That eliminated the temperature variations. Maybe give that a try.

How big of a batch can you make no sparge? I’ve been doing no sparge for a long time (full volume mashes) and I really want to continue.
I just did an 18 liter no sparge batch which came out to 1087, but I do partial mash, and in this case I used 4 lbs of DME.
Depending on the gravity, batch size, and how much DME you use the sky is the limit really.
Can't comment on specifics of the gen 4 as I have a gen 3.
The gen 3 electronics are "just ok", the timers count up (dumb), and your eyes need to be pretty much level with the controller as the screen is set so far back.
I understand that the gen 4 has a bigger malt pipe, so you can do bigger all grain beers comfortably, but sparging is still going to be a thing.
Like @Donoroto I have a stock pot and a sous vide stick.
I preheat the full volume of water, then transfer to the pot and turn on the sous vide before mashing in.
The sous vide stick will not heat a significant volume of water from room temp to sparge temp in time.
The steam condenser is great for brewing indoors. I love it, but I do think it uses quite a bit of water.
Have been toying with getting a pump to recirculate water through the spray nozzle, but it requires city water pressure to be effective.

Hi,

I bought a Brewzilla. I was disappointed. I have attempted to calibrate the thermostat numerous times, and I mean 8-10 times with Ice water, boiling water and everything in between and it remains rouge. The temperature often under reads and then suddenly its way over 10 degrees and more. I would describe it as a hopeless bit of kit. I did discuss the problem with Kegland the maker and the distributer. They were trying to get me to buy another thermometer at a huge price. Essentially the problem was not theirs it was mine. I use it now with a dome bottom and I work the system manually switching the element on and off manually. I think there is a design error in the equipment, in that it is tall and thin. The temperature striation between top and bottom is huge without stirring continuously. I would get a cheap wide Chinese urn $ 100 and an ink bird $50 and fit it with a false bottom $ 30 and a nylon brew bag $ 15 . Sometimes simpler is better. In this case it certainly is.

I don't have an all-in-one (yet) so I can't offer any advice on your problem. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum @Ozgib!

@Yooper if you were to get a Brewzilla 65 liter, or Grainfather G70 (and I am sure there are others) you could easily do all grain no sparge.
You could probably easily do high gravity no sparge batches as well.
I don't remember if anyone mentioned or not, but "Clawhammer" has a really nice product as well.

Weirdly, a Brewzilla Gen 4 just came up on Facebook marketplace in my rural area, just about a 2 hour drive away.

But…..it’s a 120V. 35L.

Husband (the brewer) died 16 months ago and had used it 6 times. Photos look good.

Now the dilemma……120v? What would make this a good enough deal to go with the 120? Is $200 off worth it to me? Hmmmm.

“Everybody” says go with the 240V if you have the ability. And I do.

Weirdly, a Brewzilla Gen 4 just came up on Facebook marketplace in my rural area, just about a 2 hour drive away.

But…..it’s a 120V. 35L.

Husband (the brewer) died 16 months ago and had used it 6 times. Photos look good.

Now the dilemma……120v? What would make this a good enough deal to go with the 120? Is $200 off worth it to me? Hmmmm.

“Everybody” says go with the 240V if you have the ability. And I do.
120v will take hours to boil, it's up to you but i would say no

I have a 120V Gen 3.1.1 , it takes about 20 minutes to get to a boil from mashout temp.
Having said that, I would personally spend the extra money for the 240V, of course spending your money is easy for me!
Elements are 1900W and 500W on the 240V unit, 1000W and 500W on the 120V unit.
If you do go with the 120V unit it needs to be on a 20 amp circuit (most household circuits are 15 amp)
Most kitchen counter outlets are 20 amp these days, the outlets are different, the way to know for sure is to check the breaker on the circuit.
The wire is 12g or 10g on 20 amp circuits, where it is 14g on 15 amp circuits.

1713200717331.png

Back