toffle

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Question for any experienced Brewzilla/Robobrew users amongst you.

I just completed my 4th brew on my Brewzilla, and decided to use the "2nd Auto Mode" for this brew. (The one which pauses the timer between steps until the desired temperature is achieved.) All seemed well until I hit some button or other, after which the device started beeping, and would not stop. I tried whatever I could do with an active brew already in the pipe, and eventually just went back to Manual Mode to finish the brew. Everything went well after that, but I was simply unable to make the machine work in Auto Mode.

Have any of you experienced this? I checked the internet, and while I could find the "Why is my Brewzilla beeping" question, I could not find the answer.

I have no problem using my shiny new kettle in Manual Mode, but I'd really like to know what I did wrong and how to get my Auto Mode working again.

Thanks so much!
Cheers!

Question for any experienced Brewzilla/Robobrew users amongst you.

I just completed my 4th brew on my Brewzilla, and decided to use the "2nd Auto Mode" for this brew. (The one which pauses the timer between steps until the desired temperature is achieved.) All seemed well until I hit some button or other, after which the device started beeping, and would not stop. I tried whatever I could do with an active brew already in the pipe, and eventually just went back to Manual Mode to finish the brew. Everything went well after that, but I was simply unable to make the machine work in Auto Mode.

Have any of you experienced this? I checked the internet, and while I could find the "Why is my Brewzilla beeping" question, I could not find the answer.

I have no problem using my shiny new kettle in Manual Mode, but I'd really like to know what I did wrong and how to get my Auto Mode working again.

Thanks so much!
Cheers!
I'm not sure but you can always email kegland direct with the question they have are good with customer service :).

I'm not sure but you can always email kegland direct with the question they have are good with customer service :).

Thanks so much! I have reached out to Kegland for assistance.

Cheers!
Tom

Thanks so much! I have reached out to Kegland for assistance.

Cheers!
Tom
I can concur that Kegland is very good at getting back to you and working through problems. Let us know what they have to say. I have a BZ 3.1.1 . While I haven't had your particular issue, it would be good to know the solution if I ever do.

I can concur that Kegland is very good at getting back to you and working through problems. Let us know what they have to say. I have a BZ 3.1.1 . While I haven't had your particular issue, it would be good to know the solution if I ever do.

I got a reply from Ontario Brew Kegs, and they confirmed that a reset was in order. I thought I had done that yesterday, but apparently not. It seems that my final auto step was a ramp up to (past) boil temp, and the auto program doesn't like that.
I'm currently running a small amount of water through the auto steps to see how the 2nd auto mode works out for me.

Hi Tom
If the alarm is at boiling set it for 102 or 103 not 100. Boils will not go past 100 so it bounces off of it repeatedly.
You may also have some conflicts going on in your program steps that were entered.
I believe the stage done alarm is also a series of beeps:
https://www.kegland.com.au/media/pdf/BrewZilla 35L - Instruction Manual.pdf
I would reset the unit. And it will most certainly stop.

Cheers
Patrick
Thanks for all the help, folks!
Tom

OBK!
Where are you from Tom?

OBK!
Where are you from Tom?
I'm down at Point Pelee. Sometimes it just feels like the end of the earth! I help brew for a local restaurant that's trying to develop an on-site brewery.
Cheers
Tom

Good to know. I always use the second version of auto mode, as it's inappropriate to start timing them out before you're at temperature!

For the boil my system only goes up to an indication of HH, and that's just after 210 Fahrenheit or 99 Celsius. Since I'm at 1000 feet here the actual boil only reaches 208 or so. The system in auto mode makes brewing, including step mashes, a real pleasure.

Good to know. I always use the second version of auto mode, as it's inappropriate to start timing them out before you're at temperature!

For the boil my system only goes up to an indication of HH, and that's just after 210 Fahrenheit or 99 Celsius. Since I'm at 1000 feet here the actual boil only reaches 208 or so. The system in auto mode makes brewing, including step mashes, a real pleasure.

To be sure, the 2nd auto mode makes more sense to me than the main mode. In mode 1, it seems necessary to adjust your time for the ramping up period. I still would not walk away from any brew system and assume that the kit will take care of the work for me.

I'm still a little unclear about the temperature setting for full boil. I see people talking about setting a degree or two above boiling point, but I am unable to make that setting on the brewzilla. Like you, my peak setting is HH, and I'm fine with that. The only problem is the auto mode doesn't appear to like that setting very much. I've got more experimenting/research to do.
Cheers,
Tom

Welcome to the forum Tom!
I always switch to manual for the boil, but I do use the auto mode for preheating water, mashing, and mash out.
I haven't brewed since I made this modification to mine...
20210719_154802.jpg

Welcome to the forum Tom!
I always switch to manual for the boil, but I do use the auto mode for preheating water, mashing, and mash out.
I haven't brewed since I made this modification to mine...
View attachment 19954
That's an awesome mod! Was there rewiring required, or do the internals use the LAN type of connections you show here?
Also, it looks like you've got a cam-lock down near the bottom of your kettle. What sort of mod is that?

Cheers,
Tom

That's an awesome mod! Was there rewiring required, or do the internals use the LAN type of connections you show here?
Also, it looks like you've got a cam-lock down near the bottom of your kettle. What sort of mod is that?

Cheers,
Tom
This should explain it all. I did this in such a way that I didn't have to cut the 8 wire ribbon on the BZ.
The camlock is just for attaching a hose to drain to the fermenter.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/brewzilla-remote-controller.14778/

Like you, my peak setting is HH, and I'm fine with that. The only problem is the auto mode doesn't appear to like that setting very much. I've got more experimenting/research to do.
Cheers,
Tom
Older brewzillas did not have the HH setting, so setting a temperature 'above boiling' was possible.

I use HH in my auto mode program, but like @Craigerrr usually move to manual mode for the boil, but not until after hot break. As you noted, the controller never sees HH temperatures (I'm 1000 ft above sea level, water boils at 209 F) so the auto timer never starts.

To be sure, the 2nd auto mode makes more sense to me than the main mode. In mode 1, it seems necessary to adjust your time for the ramping up period. I still would not walk away from any brew system and assume that the kit will take care of the work for me.

I'm still a little unclear about the temperature setting for full boil. I see people talking about setting a degree or two above boiling point, but I am unable to make that setting on the brewzilla. Like you, my peak setting is HH, and I'm fine with that. The only problem is the auto mode doesn't appear to like that setting very much. I've got more experimenting/research to do.
Cheers,
Tom
I think they meant to set the alarm for just above boiling (if that is a setting, i don't have one). That is the way I read the response

Back