Brewing with limited temperature control over fermentation.

ozarks42

Trial Member
Reaction score
I would like to start brewing more than ales and brew Pilsners and maybe an Oktoberfest, but I’m limited in being able to control fermentation temperatures. The room I use to brew in is 10x20 with window air-conditioning. I have heard or read where people have said to go for it and not worry about the lower fermentation, it will work out.
My question is, how is the finial taste of a brew affected by fermentation temperature when it comes to Pilsners and Oktoberfest’s?

Re: Brewing with limited temperature control over fermentati

most yeast will put off "its default flavor" in the beer at room temps, its not always a bad flavor but in lighter beers you want to avoid anything but the intended grain and hop combinations. if you don't want to spend any money building or buying a chamber you can get a round farm tub fill half with water, freeze a bunch of 2 liter bottles solid, put your carboy in the tub in the same room you had it then add bottles as needed to lower the water temp...the wort will equalize with the water

You could also consider using higher temperature "lager" yeasts such as Kolsch or California Common. These will give off fewer esters at higher temperatures. You can then put your carboy in a tub of water and add ice to bring the temps down into the low 60's rather than having to go all the way down to the 50's for a true lager yeast. But I'm afraid without better temperature control you won't get a real lager experience from your homebrew. Sorry.

Limited temperature control is better than no temp control. You can brew much better beer, including Ales, by controlling and maintaining temps. The swamp cooler method ( tub w/ water/Ice and wet towel and fan) will do the job, but it's more work.
A fermentation chamber is not that hard to build, and you will be happier in the long run, even with your ales. keep on the lookout for a small fridge, especially an old one w/o digital controls. these are easier to wire (for me anyhow). I got mine for free as I was Johnny on the spot when someone needed it hauled off.
Just saying.
When your ready to level up, that's the way to go.
But in the meantime, keep them cool and even.

I've had great outcomes using Wyeast California Lager 2112 @ 60-63 ambient.

Easier to wire? I didn't even do that. I just bought a couple of 5 cf freezers, $20 2-stage temp controllers, and fermwrap. Easy peasy!

Stabilizing temperatures, or at least dampening temperature swings, is where the tub of water comes in. It will act as a heat sink for the heat your yeast produce and stabilize swings in ambient temperature. Best thing that ever happened to my fermentations since the refrigerator and temperature controller.

Easier to wire? I didn't even do that. I just bought a couple of 5 cf freezers, $20 2-stage temp controllers, and fermwrap. Easy peasy![/quote]

I hard wired my STC 1000 directly into fridge, so I could have the light on when I open the door. With a plug in controller, the light only works when the compressor is on.

Attachments

• IMG_4414 (800x533).jpg
    IMG_4414 (800x533).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_4415 (533x800).jpg
    IMG_4415 (533x800).jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_4416 (800x533).jpg
    IMG_4416 (800x533).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_4661 (427x640).jpg
    IMG_4661 (427x640).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 619

Looks nice! Mine are chest freezers, no lights.

you can get Fahrenheit stc-1000's, I searched for weeks then found some, bought 3 makes things much easier

My iPhone understands the conversion very well!

Does the Fahrenheit unit have dual relays? I have found some, but the were only single relay. Fine for a fermentation chamber if you don't need heat, or for a kegerator.

I saw stc-1000s that were Fahrenheit. That'd be dual. You can also flash your Celsius unit if you are so inclined.

Naw, I'm used to it. I got a conversion chart taped to the chamber door, so no worries. I been making lagers in it for many years.

I've been using the 38DD for a couple years now and have outfitted it with a stc-1000 and in the winter use a 200 watt heater to keep the internal temperature from dropping too low. Easy to build and works well.

Attachments

• 38 DD Fermentation Chamber.jpg
    38 DD Fermentation Chamber.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 511

In the summer, how often do you need to change the ice?

Nice build

When it gets hot in my barn and fermentation is active I change the ice twice a day. After about the third or fourth day of fermentation I can get away with once a day. I use 2 liter water frozen water bottles on plastic trays. Right now it is 75 in the barn and the two fermenters are sitting at 70 without extra cooling.

Back