Brewing with Lemongrass

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was recently in Atlanta and had a Second Shelf Thai Wheat, an American wheat spiced with lemongrass and ginger. It was a wonderful brew, my selection for a summer cooler. Looking through the Internets and through my reference library, I can't seem to find any references on how to use lemongrass in beer. Best I can come up with is two ounces each of lemongrass and ginger. So question: Have any of you used either lemongrass and/or ginger, what was your experience and how much did you use?

Thanks!

Ive used ginger powder, added directly to finished beer and while having a great flavor 1 teaspoon in 5 gallons was almost too much. it was fresh from the spice shop pared with cinnamon and only a test for flavor, never did get it dissolved, ended up lining the bottom of the keg

Haven't used either in beer, but fresh ginger can be boiled in chunks or slices or pressed raw in a garlic press. Because the ginger would be in liquid form, you wouldn't need to worry about dissolving. Based on using ginger in food, and making unfermented ginger ale, I would think you could use quite a lot of the fresh stuff. The flavor would survive a boil, but it makes the most sense to add it late so you can add more if you need to. For lemongrass, I would make a tea out of it to see how it tastes and then multiply the amount to get to your batch size. Most of the so-called experts caution against adding too much too soon -- packaging isn't too late. My personal experience with drinking other people's ginger beers has not been positive, so it probably isn't as easy as it might seem. Good luck.

I used lemongrass in a wheat saison a few months back. I used 3/4 oz. dried lemongrass in a 5 gallon batch. The lemongrass wasn't over powering, but the cardamom that was also in there was. It was pretty good, I would use the same amount of lemongrass again, just less cardamom.

Lemming - I was thinking 0.5 Oz. Will go with your recommendation. I don't think 2 Oz fresh ginger will be too much. Mind sharing how you added the lemongrass? Boil and if so, how long? Tea, and if so, how long steeped and when added? THX!

Nosybear: I put one ounce of fresh ginger and a couple cinnamon sticks in the boil of a holiday beer. Cannot detect the cinnamon but there is a prominent ginger flavor.

I added the lemongrass in the last 5 minutes of the boil with the final hops addition. Hopefully it turns out well. Lemongrass and ginger sounds like a winner to me.

That beer in Atlanta certainly was! I wrote the brewery asking for tips but haven't heard back, maybe if I'm down there again (may be in February), I'll take a brewery tour and ask the questions then.

I brewed the beer today - a 1 gallon trial batch using BIAB. Adding the lemongrass in two batches, one at 10 minutes and 1 at the start of a 10-minute boil extension, resulted in nice lemon aroma. Both batches were 5 grams to 1.5 gallons of wort. 10 g ginger made a very nice aroma. Will see how it comes out and I'll keep you posted, both here and at my blog.

Hello Nosybear,

I checked your blog and it looks like you bottled a second-go at this one. Mind sharing where you stand recipe-wise? I had your original post in the back of my mind, and now I've decided this is something I too must try. Of course summers around the corner and I'm a lazy bum, so any progress you've made would help me get this going before summer, and still remain lazy. Just kidding, but if you've gotten any further with the recipe I'd love to see it.

Cheers

Getting it dialed in. My next brew will be a three-gallon pre-final trial. I'll share what I have here and on my blog - have had inquiry there, yours? - this evening when I get time.

Wasn't me on your blog, but I'll be brewing something this weekend.

I had a first tasting of my first go at this one. The recipe is shared, but I don't know how to make a direct link from here...

I used 32g chopped fresh lemongrass and 45g diced fresh ginger in the last 10 minutes of the boil. I just tapped the keg, and can't seem to bring myself inside to go to bed. In the nose I get slightly more lemongrass, in the mouth I get slightly more ginger. The aftertaste is nice and hoppy. The beer is light bodied, pale coloured and slightly opaque. Refreshing and easy to drink. I will try this again and aim for just a hair more body to balance out the ginger.

Sounds like you're working it.... My "pre-final" is lagering right now, yep, lagering an ale to drop the sediment out. So far, tastes good. My preference is a good lemongrass nose and good ginger flavor.

Sounds like you're working it.... My "pre-final" is lagering right now, yep, lagering an ale to drop the sediment out. So far, tastes good. My preference is a good lemongrass nose and good ginger flavor.
Gday Nosey I'm looking to have a crack at this ginger/lemongrass beer of yours for my last beer before Christmas. I've got lemongrass growing out the back yard so heaps. I live in the biggest ginger growing region in Australia so I've got that covered. As for the recipe I'm just looking around with what would fit with what I've got on hand. Pilsner malt I was thinking of doing a 50/50 pils /wheat base with some carapils and Munich for some body and residual sweetness. I'll follow your tried and tested late additions on the ginger and lemongrass at end of boil. Was thinking sazz as late hop for this beer too and would I be crazy to add some honey late in boil like 2 mins to go and some lemon zest I've got lemons to boot? Have you got a recipe public on here for more info cheers!​

I posted the recipe on another thread. I'd lose the Munich - too much malt for this beer. No need for carapils because of the wheat (and the Brulosophy thing about it not doing any good). As far as hops, I'd avoid any late hops at all. This needs to be only bitter enough to offset the sweetness and I don't know about the hops and spice/herbs in combination. Finally, I'd test lemon zest with lemongrass - they're very different flavors and aromas - before risking a beer to the blend. This beer needs to be very restrained in just about every way to work well.

Cheers Nosey yep my latest hop addition is 20 min and FWH for Bittering. Yea I want it tame not overpowering just in the background. I'll drop the Munich and keep it 50/50 wheat pils and keep the 500g honey addition and will add honey at 0mins and steep with the lemongrass and ginger. As for the zest I thought it a given for this style as is coriander seeds but I've left them out:rolleyes:.

I'm seeing it is a very delicate brew.
I know the yeast will ferment clean and dry so I'm happy with this.
How about mash I was going for mid range 60 mins at 66c with 74c mash out.

Cheers Nosey yep my latest hop addition is 20 min and FWH for Bittering. Yea I want it tame not overpowering just in the background. I'll drop the Munich and keep it 50/50 wheat pils and keep the 500g honey addition and will add honey at 0mins and steep with the lemongrass and ginger. As for the zest I thought it a given for this style as is coriander seeds but I've left them out:rolleyes:.

I'm seeing it is a very delicate brew.
I know the yeast will ferment clean and dry so I'm happy with this.
How about mash I was going for mid range 60 mins at 66c with 74c mash out.
It's summer down there - this is an excellent summer beer! I'll brew it about March here (once ski season is winding down) for summer drinking....

Back