Brewing with Honey

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Hip Hops Homebrewing, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Hip Hops Homebrewing

I'm planning on brewing a Honey IPA using real honey. Any suggestions on the amount I should use or how to figure that out? It will be an all grain recipe (7.5 gallon boil size and 5.5 gallon batch). Approx. 70 IBUs. I would like for it to be subtle and not over powering. Using Cacade, Amarillo, and Citra hops in boil. Will dry hop with Centennial.

2. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

I brewed a honey amber (5 gallon batch) that used 1 lb of honey. It made for a great honey flavor, not overbearing. On the other hand, my Holiday Cheer has a pound of honey in it, and I really can't taste it at all. I have a lager that's not ready yet that has 2 1/2 pounds of honey. I'm interested to see how that one turns out. I'd recommend 1 or 2 pounds pounds of honey for you.

3. Hip Hops Homebrewing

Thanks jeffpn. I have read that most homebrewers add it at flame out so as not to diminish the honey flavor during the boil. When did you add it? I plan on using Wildflower honey by the way.

4. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

In both batches I think I did it at 20 minutes left. Just enough to ensure there were no contaminants, although I've read that honey is sterile.

5. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

Correction: in the batch where I could distinctly taste it, I added it at 5 minutes to flame out. It was the other batch where I couldn't notice it that I added it with 20 minutes left to go.

6. Hip Hops Homebrewing

Thanks. I am going to try adding 10-16 oz at flame out and see how it goes.

7. ldh909

ldh909 New Member

Probably too late to be of any help, but I brewed the "White House Honey Ale" recipe, which is one pound of honey for a 5 gallon batch. All I can say is, it tasted kind of bitter and "murky" after a month in the bottle, but it tasted really smooth at 3 months.

8. Hip Hops Homebrewing

Thanks. I am brewing my IPA in the next few weeks. I decided to go with 1 pound of honey.

9. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    Im not saying it wont taste bad but trust me actual honey in beer will not taste like honey in the final product, honey is 100% fermentable and all gets eaten by the yeast, all it does is add more alcohol, if you want to say it has honey in it just add a small amount just for kicks then use honey malt for the flavor

10. ldh909

ldh909 New Member

I both agree and disagree with Ozarks. Honey adds complexity of flavor (that's where I disagree), but it is subtle (that's where I agree). You'll never notice it in an IPA.

11. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    I will say your right it can add a flavor just not what you would expect, I use all natural local bee hive honey from a neighboring farm so Ive never used anything commercial which is probably a different flavor all together