Brewing with fruit

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by LlewellynBrewHaus, Apr 5, 2016.

1. LlewellynBrewHaus

LlewellynBrewHaus Active Member

Brewing up a few batches for a party later this month just kegged a session IPA, ESB in primary and looking at the guest list Im gonna need one more keg.
    Think I want to try an apricot blonde. Any experience out there ? Nosy I know you have played around with fruit in past posts. Also the recipe I found calls for Wy1099 whit bread I haven't had the pleasure of that strain anyone like or dislike that strain I've been lovin on 1968 but my be a bit much for a blonde.

Prost

2. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

LHBS owner
    any ideas on how you're using apricots, and what kind you're getting? One commercial beer that comes to mind is Wasatch Apricot Hefe, could be something to get a taste gauge.

3. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    look down to Using Fruits in Secondary Fermentation on this page, this is how I recommend it

http://byo.com/hops/item/679-fruit-brew ... techniques

as for a blond yeast, unless you just want a yeast flavor I use US05 at 60 and it comes out very clean, you need to ferment for 2 weeks for a blond to condition the yeast

4. LlewellynBrewHaus

LlewellynBrewHaus Active Member

Thanks for the link OMB! I'm toying with the idea of just re-pitching the 1968 from the ESB that's in primary.And also adding a aroma addition of some Zythos hops that I have on hand; don't want to do to much though and lose the apricot character.
    Oliver
    it calls for 3.1 lbs of puree added to the secondary and adjusting flavor with extract at kegging. Its Dry Docks Brewing's Apricot Blonde recipe they printed in July/Aug '15 BYO