Brewing Tomorrow!

I don't seem to have permission to view the recipe.

Really interesting recipe. First thing that stands out to me is the very aggressive So4:CL ratio! I’ve never pushed it that far and would be interested to hear what that brings to the beer (as opposed to 3:1 or 4:1).

Yep saw the same thing almost reverse of standard NEIPA Ratio.

Really interesting recipe. First thing that stands out to me is the very aggressive So4:CL ratio! I’ve never pushed it that far and would be interested to hear what that brings to the beer (as opposed to 3:1 or 4:1).

I'm not a believer in the "ratio". What I mean is if you have 30 ppm of chloride and 90 ppm of sulfate, that's a 1:3 ratio, but totally different than 50:150. I go by strict numbers. This is what I shoot for.

An aggressive sulfate level enhances the perception of dryness. I usually go more like 150 ppm of sulfate in my IPAs, for a good balance of dryness to malt, but lately I've been wanting a much more firmly bitter and dry finish.

Most "pale ale" profiles use a goal of 300 ppm of sulfate, and I find that a little too aggressive for me usually.

Columbus hops would give you that bitterness on its own when boiled for 60 min

Columbus hops would give you that bitterness on its own when boiled for 60 min

Yes, and I ended up doing a 75+ minute boil. I ended up with 7 gallons in the boil instead of 6.5 so wanted to boil off a little more.

I also changed my mind and added cryo palisade to the end of the boil instead of saving any palisade for the dryhopping. The wort is really a beautiful color and I have high hopes for this one.

It smells so awesome in the brewery right now. I’m just waiting to get the chilling done.

Well, I did it. I haven't brewed since November of last year. I figured it was time to get back on the horse. With that in mind, I brewed a 5 gallon batch of Back on the Horse IPA. Now it's time for a nap. :)

I'm not a believer in the "ratio". What I mean is if you have 30 ppm of chloride and 90 ppm of sulfate, that's a 1:3 ratio, but totally different than 50:150. I go by strict numbers. This is what I shoot for.

An aggressive sulfate level enhances the perception of dryness. I usually go more like 150 ppm of sulfate in my IPAs, for a good balance of dryness to malt, but lately I've been wanting a much more firmly bitter and dry finish.

Most "pale ale" profiles use a goal of 300 ppm of sulfate, and I find that a little too aggressive for me usually.
Thanks for the reply. I have heard a lot of people say that it’s not the ratio, rather it’s the individual numbers. But I haven’t ever really found a great answer as to what the numbers should be, just ranges. I suppose that’s because it’s all relative to the brewer, which makes sense.

Still, can you perceive/taste a difference between say, SO4 at 150 vs. 250? That’s not a wise-guy question, I’m honestly curious because I’ve never pushed SO4 to 250 before. Maybe my next IPA I will give it a shot.

Ah
Thanks for the reply. I have heard a lot of people say that it’s not the ratio, rather it’s the individual numbers. But I haven’t ever really found a great answer as to what the numbers should be, just ranges. I suppose that’s because it’s all relative to the brewer, which makes sense.

Still, can you perceive/taste a difference between say, SO4 at 150 vs. 250? That’s not a wise-guy question, I’m honestly curious because I’ve never pushed SO4 to 250 before. Maybe my next IPA I will give it a shot.
I must admit I've noticed I like the higher sulphate level to chloride in my ales but yeah I usually just try 2:1 I'm guessing I'll have to really push the sulphate envelope on another pale ale or hoppy ale and see if it tickles me fancies too:rolleyes:.

yes, there is a perceptible difference! Maybe try it, by adding a pinch to a finished ipa in the glass. That should give you an idea of the impact.

for years and years I’ve mostly gone with 150ish ppm sulfate on my ipas but occasionally I want something more aggressively dry and bitter.

Getting geared up to brew my next WC IPA, going to review my water profile now!

Back