Brewing Classic Styles recipe question

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by truongthanh, Jun 23, 2015.

1. truongthanh

truongthanh New Member

I have been using the recipes from Brewing Classic Styles as a starting point, but find that I always must cut back on the grain bill in order to stay within style according to BeerSmith. When I do use the BeerSmith adjusted recipes, I come in on style so am trying to figure out why. Just for experimentation I recently ran a batch using Jamil's recipe exactly on a Dubbel and it came in at 9.2% alcohol - much closer to a Tripel.

Any thoughts on this?

2. GernBlanston

GernBlanston New Member

Those recipes are designed for a 6 gal batch after the boil. If you made a 5 gal batch then your O.G. would be high.
    Also they are a starting point. Your process is unique to you and your equipment. If you are not hitting the numbers you want adjust accordingly.

3. The Brew Mentor

The Brew Mentor Well-Known Member

In that book, Jamil also targets around 60% efficiency so you'll have to adjust to your brew house.

4. BrewerJim

BrewerJim New Member

I'm new to this site so I need a little help here. I like to brew style specific recipes and I have some awards for some I've done before but when I put them in the recipe builder they don't come up as " match style". Is there a tool to tell me what's not according to style?

5. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    edit the recipe, look at the button more/less then it shows whats missing, color or gravity, IBU or alcohol %, you can tweak anything by changing the amounts of grains

Attached Files:

6. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

Speaking for the app and hoping what you see is similar, your recipe will tell you what styles it could be. If there's something wrong related to the style you've selected, it will tell you which variable it is, whether it's gravity, color, IBUs, etc. a green check mark is good. A yellow exclamation point is bad.

Attached Files: