Brewing Classic Styles recipe question

truongthanh

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have been using the recipes from Brewing Classic Styles as a starting point, but find that I always must cut back on the grain bill in order to stay within style according to BeerSmith. When I do use the BeerSmith adjusted recipes, I come in on style so am trying to figure out why. Just for experimentation I recently ran a batch using Jamil's recipe exactly on a Dubbel and it came in at 9.2% alcohol - much closer to a Tripel.

Any thoughts on this?

Those recipes are designed for a 6 gal batch after the boil. If you made a 5 gal batch then your O.G. would be high.
Also they are a starting point. Your process is unique to you and your equipment. If you are not hitting the numbers you want adjust accordingly.

In that book, Jamil also targets around 60% efficiency so you'll have to adjust to your brew house.

I'm new to this site so I need a little help here. I like to brew style specific recipes and I have some awards for some I've done before but when I put them in the recipe builder they don't come up as " match style". Is there a tool to tell me what's not according to style?

edit the recipe, look at the button more/less then it shows whats missing, color or gravity, IBU or alcohol %, you can tweak anything by changing the amounts of grains

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_37 Jul. 04 13.01.jpg
    ScreenHunter_37 Jul. 04 13.01.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 930
Speaking for the app and hoping what you see is similar, your recipe will tell you what styles it could be. If there's something wrong related to the style you've selected, it will tell you which variable it is, whether it's gravity, color, IBUs, etc. a green check mark is good. A yellow exclamation point is bad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 958
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 948

Back