Brewed an ESB

Dirty Dingo Brewing CO.

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I brewed an ESB and I'll post the link to the recipe. Can't complain about the taste, but I feel lacing/head retention could be better. Also, any suggestions for really bringing some classic English hop flavour, don't be shy!

Other than that, I really love it. Just curious what the community has to say!

https://share.brewfather.app/AQz7J5kSMcXHib (I know it's brewfather, but I really like their auto calcs for water!)

I really like those traditional beer styles; wouldn't mind a pint of that :)

Head retention for me, as an English person, is critical. All of our recipes use 5% torrefied wheat and that seems to do the trick. Also glass care is crucial in head retention.

I use loads of traditional English hops like Goldings and I've pushed all my 15 minute additions back to 10 minutes on the advice of my brewing guru. I found that later additions lost any astringent/grassy notes and really smoothed out. EKG does well for me in dry hop additions in this style too.

Are you not over bittering with 2 early additions? I use FWH as but wouldn't add a 60 min hop as well.

Your recipe looks good. As others have mentioned a little bit of wheat will help with head retention. I have been trying different yeasts but, haven't used Lallemond Windsor yeast yet. So far Safale US-04 has turned out the best for me. Also, I like Fuggles, in addition to EKG, near the end or at flameout.

Your recipe looks good. As others have mentioned a little bit of wheat will help with head retention. I have been trying different yeasts but, haven't used Lallemond Windsor yeast yet. So far Safale US-04 has turned out the best for me. Also, I like Fuggles, in addition to EKG, near the end or at flameout.

Plus one for S04, excellent for this style (not US05 - that really doesn't suit)

I really like those traditional beer styles; wouldn't mind a pint of that :)

Head retention for me, as an English person, is critical. All of our recipes use 5% torrefied wheat and that seems to do the trick. Also glass care is crucial in head retention.

I use loads of traditional English hops like Goldings and I've pushed all my 15 minute additions back to 10 minutes on the advice of my brewing guru. I found that later additions lost any astringent/grassy notes and really smoothed out. EKG does well for me in dry hop additions in this style too.

Are you not over bittering with 2 early additions? I use FWH as but wouldn't add a 60 min hop as well.

Doesn't taste too bitter, but I'll keep it in mind and maybe tweak it a bit.

I wanted to ensure the light chocolate didn't make it too sweet. I think I balanced that part well. I will definitely add the torrified wheat as well.

Thanks everyone!

Too clean imo. For dry Windsor, London, S04, and verdant are all really good. Of those I like verdant and Windsor the best.

I haven't tried Windsor or Verdant yet. How do they compare to S04?

More of the good fruity esters. For me at least.

Back