BrewBot

I can see this as good and bad. Good as more people means perhaps cheaper more available ingredients. It could also go the other way and making it harder to get ingredients as the average joe will get one making supply smaller and demand higher.

I can also see it flooding the marketplace with so called brewing "experts" overnight.

With that said, it might be good for making trial brews.

Maybe it if takes off we'll be able to integrate our recipes and brew feature with it someday.

this is built from the arduino
arduino is spreading i tell ya, all kinds of cool gadgets out there

I see it as serving a couple markets:
1) the guy who wants to brew good beer and has too much money and too little patience to do so via trial and error and much hands-on effor
2) the home brewer who has gotten to the point that they are perhaps bordering on going commercial; someone who just needs to dial the consistency up another notch above what they're able to do on their own

I don't see this causing a seismic shift in the industry, simply because it's still going to be cost-prohibitive for a lot of people. I should have added a 3rd option, which the makers mentioned, and that's actual breweries using it to experiment with brews on a small scale. Regardless, I think it's good because it may very well get more people into it.
Home brewing is sort of an outlier hobby and I liken it to tattoos. Both sort of lived in the shadows and were a bit taboo for a while (though tattoos were, admittedly, more so) and now are both booming industries that have taken a big step into the mainstream. The downside of this is that it opens the door to a lot of people who are doing it just to be cool and who aren't really advancing the art. The plus side is that it makes things more readily available and forces the serious folks to step up their game in order to stand out.
As a brewer and collector of ink, I am all for anything that can advance the industries forward.

Back