Brew the way I brew!

I have a guy at my LHBS (granted, he always has great info and I learn something each time) that when I bring in a recipe, it ends up completely changed by the time I leave, and then I have to re enter in what changed to my brewing software, etc.

Sometimes I want to brew a particular recipe the way it is because I may not know how it'll come out. If it was something I've brewed a bunch of, then I would be more open to changing things to see the difference. I've been in sales for 10 years and I don't mind info and suggestions, etc. I've always been receptive to the "features" of different ingredients and the benefits and then I can make a decision as to what I may want to change at that point.

If carafoam is just their name for carapils then there's no difference. If it is a different malt they should tell you what's better about it. But they shouldn't push hard. Mention it once then let you decide.

Today’s line by him, and I did ask him for input on my new recipe, was, “Oats are underutilized. I put golden naked oats in everything I brew.” So, I have a pound of GNO in my Golden Raspberry Ale. I’ve never used oats in anything, so I don’t mind trying it. I’m just hoping to get better efficiency than I’ve been getting lately (not that oats have anything to do with increasing efficiency). Man, I hate to have to mess with water!

Last edited:
I have a lot of flaked oats I haven't been using, he makes a decent point there. Maybe I should add a few hundred grams to my batches and see what happens.

I have a lot of flaked oats I haven't been using, he makes a decent point there. Maybe I should add a few hundred grams to my batches and see what happens.
The gums in the oats would replace the dextrines in Carapils/Carafoam very nicely for body and head retention. Could lead to non-chill haze, though. I think "everything" is a bit extreme....

I forgot to add that when I showed my BF iPhone app, he told me I ought to be using BeerSmith. I told him that’s not gonna happen. I have no problem with one being set in one’s ways. I am, too. I do have a problem when one tells me I need to be set in his ways.

The gums in the oats would replace the dextrines in Carapils/Carafoam very nicely for body and head retention. Could lead to non-chill haze, though. I think "everything" is a bit extreme....
He mentioned IPAs I remember, benefitting from oats. He did say there were a couple of exceptions, but as a general rule, he used oats.

I made an oatmeal IPA last summer, it worked out pretty well actually. I should do it again.

I think I’m gonna go to the other LHBS in town from now on. It’s a little further from my home, but it’s very close to where I work. I think this new guy at the store I like is going to give me his unsolicited opinion every time I’m there. I can’t believe he told me I’m using the wrong software. What does he care what software I use?

One thing I like about the other store is I can text him my grain bill, and he’ll have everything ready to go when I get there. Now that’s service!

No ....use my exact recipe and vague process notes simply because some random guy on the interwebs told you to .
If you don't brew my metric squirrel way then your beer will be rubbish .
I shall ignore differing equipment , ingredients and targets and insist that if you don't brew MY way and if you don't follow my stout recipe then you'll never make a decent pilsner

Sounds like you’ve been to that store! My local club seems to be the same way. I went to a meeting to check them out once. I was making the rounds meeting new people. I told one guy the last beer I made was a honey amber. Armed with only that information, he said, “You could’ve made it better if you...”

I brew alone
Yeah, with nobody else
You know when I brew alone
I prefer to be by myself

I've been pretty fortunate, the club here has been great.

Back