brew question

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by griz, Aug 4, 2015.

1. griz

griz Member

Greetings.

Last Saturday, I purchased the ingredients to make a Fat Tire ale clone. When I got home, I activated the smack-pack yeast and began to get the process rolling....then something came up and I had to postpone the beer making. I was going to start again Sunday, and that fell through as well. Then came Monday and didn't have enough time again.

So, unless the world comes to an end, I am planning on finishing this today. I put the crushed grain in a platsic bag and set it down in the basement to keep it cool. The smack-pack yeast was also put down in the basement as well. Do you think the yeast will still work after sitting for 3 days, or should I just get another smack-pack and be safe.

Thanks as always!!

2. Cian

Cian New Member

How cool is your basement?

3. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

All I have to say is that one of the Fat Tire recipes uploaded to this site tastes like hot dog water!

4. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Lots of clones do taste like dog water. It's less about duplicating the ingredient list than about your brewing techniques....

As to the yeast, do a starter. That'll help it get revitalized and ready for use. I wouldn't use it straight from the pack after that long. A small two cup starter should be fine to wake it back up and get it ready to go in your Fat Tire clone. Dumb question: You can get Fat Tire pretty much anywhere in the US these days, why go to the trouble of brewing it?

5. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    I'm not sure if you bought a kit or brewing all grain or not but the key the this beer is using Canadian - Honey Malt and Belgian - Biscuit, this is the key to the overall flavor...substitutes will not be the same