brew log sequencing

nununene

Trial Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to add a lauter step for first and last runnings? It could come after the mash complete and the sparge water could be included. I think the mash complete, mash complete first runnings, and mash complete last runnings are very cumbersome and hard to figure out the times for each

Sorry not sure I'm following, can you give an example?

The brewlogs should already support any measurements that could be taken at lauter, or you can use the other log entry?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the lauter is after the mash but the first runnings are at beginning of lauter. I have a really hard time with the volumes for first runnings being volume to kettle because I usually take reading at start of lauter as I'm running wort into kettle and I only have a cup or so in the kettle.
If I was doing it I would have MASH complete be just strike water. Then I would have LAUTER START and collect gravity (first runnings) Then I would have end LAUTER END and collect sparge volume and gravity (last runnings). Then I would have volume to kettle in PRE-BOIL.
Can you explain the way you have it for me? I'm totally confused about total volume being in first runnings.

I'm still having a hard time with the mash complete first runnings volume. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'll let my instructor know he's wrong too) but the first runnings measurement is at the beginning of the lauter, thus FIRST runnings and the last runnings measurement is at the end of the lauter. The volume of wort in the kettle after first runnings is negligible. The last runnings is at the end of the lauter and the volume of wort would include the strike and sparge water. Can you tell me your thought process for having it the way you do?

Sounds like you are fly sparging? If you are then I can see your confusion and unfortunately I don't know what to tell you as
I batch sparge so it's easy for me to take the first runnings reading after draining the mash tun and the final runnings reading after draining the sparge water from the tun.

The first runnings is the volume and gravity of wort released from the mash tun before any sparging or lautering. Since no additional water is added, this measurement is useful to determine apparent grain absorption (to refine your equipment values), and conversion efficiency during the mash.

The subsequent runnings are after any sparging.

If, in your process, you don't drain your mashtun but instead add water directly above the grain bed without draining the first runnings, I would recommend at least taking a gravity sample to confirm conversion. You won't be able to determine your grain absorption accurately, but when fly sparging the volume calculations are less significant at strike/absorption level since you just keep adding water till you're arbitrarily "done".

Back