Brew House Efficiency

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by jeffpn, Jun 5, 2015.

1. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

Are there any fellow BIABers who keep track of efficiency? What are you getting? My recipe default is set to 70%. My last couple batches have been coming out heavier than expected. I got 88.24% and 85.47%. For tonight's brew, I wrote the recipe with an 80% target and I got 82.32%.

2. mikeham57

mikeham57 New Member

I get about 60%.do you use a circulation pump? is your grind fine? I find mine seems low .what is you're procedure

3. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

No pumps. I use the mill at the store where I get my stuff. A friend of mine grinds it twice there, but I haven't done that. I do my standard mash, and when that's done, I pull the grains and let them drain on top of an upside down colander in my old 6 gallon bucket fermenter. I pour that liquid back into the fermenter, and then I sparge (or rinse, whatever) the grains twice, knowing how much water to use to get my boil volume correct. Hopefully that makes sense.

4. UgliestLemming

I hit 78% with my last brew. Prior was around 70%. I no sparge, and only drain and squeeze the bag.

5. Arctic Brew Doc

Arctic Brew Doc New Member

I used to average 65 -70%, when I first switched to AG. Recently I set up a RIMS and also started grinding my grains a little finer (by accident). Now I am averaging 80-86% depending on the style.

6. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    I have several set ups, some with 1, some with 3 pots but my goto rig is a somewhat advanced brew in a bag set up, using 1 pot with an insert and a bag inside the insert. I do have a rims set up and recirculate slowly through the whole mash and now Ive added a step. instead of raising the insert up to drain I just leave it in the pot and empty the wort into a bucket or another pot, then I add 6 ph water to the grain and recirculate with that grain bed in place, I do raise the temperature to 170 , then raise the grain to drain and add the first wort back to it leaving me with a 80 to 85 percent efficiency, it seems to work perfect, the only draw back is sometimes I end up with too much wort to boil and have to boil for 120 minutes to reach my target liquid amounts