Brettanomyces Identification

lostmicrobiologist

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm a new QC hire for a local brewery and I have been tasked with identifying and isolating potential strains of wild yeast and bacteria from local fruits. Currently, I have cultured what I believe to be Lactobacillus, Saccharomyces, and Brettanomyces. My only issue is not being able to definitively identify the Brettanomyces due to a lack of available information about it's identifying characteristics. Is this organism catalase positive? I know many of you work with Brettanomyces, so have you been able to run a catalase test on it? Any help in identifying this would be greatly appreciated. Also, just for fun, what types of organisms have you encountered after culturing from environmental samples, such as fruits?
Thanks in advance!

Now that's a hell of a question. I have no idea.

You exceeded my grasp of microbiology in about the first sentence.

ive checked out some youtube videos on culturing your own slants from wild bacteria swabbed from random surfaces maybe this may be a little below you but a suggestion none the less... now where is that beer i put down:p!​

I'd check the probrewer.com forums. You'll find more people with experience with brewing lab work there.

Back