Brett Bonanza?

JWR_12

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm still at the point where I get distracted at crucial moments and slip up on some detail. So yesterday I went to rehydrate my SAF Ale yeast, and I grabbed a great jar to do it in ... forgetting to sanitize it. It was clean--perhaps even dishwasher clean, though it's been a few months since I used it. But the last time I used it, I pickled peppers in it (lacto fermentation).

Anyways, the rehydrated yeast was in the fermenter with the wort before I remembered. This morning, things are bubbling along normally. But should I think I'm going to get a pickled flavor beer? I know that you're not supposed to brew regular beer using stuff you've used for sours.

It might go sour, lol. If you washed it in the dishwasher, it prolly killed most of it. Lacto is bacteria so only requires above ~165F.

You'll be fine. Bacteria is often killed by having a clean, dry environment for some time - which describes your glass jar. Add to that the very small chance anything survived the dishwasher, and you'll be fine.

I agree with the above, you'll be fine.

I think the bigger question is, why bother rehydrating the yeast in the first place?
Thanks. Re: rehydrating: Palmer says to do it?

Got it.

Palmer certainly knows his stuff. But Fermentis (SafAle) says that direct pitching into wort is just fine. Since direct pitching is far easier, it is my preferred method (and many others as well)
Well, it will definitely keep me from screwing up rehydrating! :) So if people have good experience with that, I'll do it.

So far, I've had good experiences in general with Fermentis SAF Ale, and given that my local homebrew store just shut down, I think that's how I'll be brewing for a while, since it ships and keeps well.

Well, it will definitely keep me from screwing up rehydrating! :) So if people have good experience with that, I'll do it.

So far, I've had good experiences in general with Fermentis SAF Ale, and given that my local homebrew store just shut down, I think that's how I'll be brewing for a while, since it ships and keeps well.
Just one add on to this: the beer is fermenting actively .... too actively? not sure yet. But it's going hard.

Agree with the direct pitch for dry yeast. The liquids are made to do that now as well.
Since you don't have anywhere local, you probably won't be using liquid for awhile, but White Labs has a next generation something or rather that is essentially a double pitch meant to be poured directly in the fermenter. That stuff made me happy as it worked well, was actually cheaper than the normal double pitch that I would buy, and easier than hell to use..twist cap and pour.

I agree, I have not rehydrated in a while.

Palmer certainly has a reputation that is well-deserved, but not everything he writes agrees with my experiences. Usually on little things though, like squeezing the grain bag...

I agree, I have not rehydrated in a while.

Palmer certainly has a reputation that is well-deserved, but not everything he writes agrees with my experiences. Usually on little things though, like squeezing the grain bag...
Ya i don't agree with that either. Not only do i squeeze it, i built a cider press and squeeze the living piss out of it. Never had any issue with it

Current best practice for dry yeast is not to rehydrate it. Skips a step that could be an infection point as well as saving you time.

I am in agreement with not rehydrating dry yeast unless making a starter.
I too squeeze my grain bag like it's going to milk money! Never had a bad beer with any trace of tannins or astringency.
I also find it as equally cost effective and less chance of infection to double or triple pitch dry yeast in lieu of making a starter with Proper Starter and a stir plate.
I used the growler & swish often method when I did starters, so never owned a stir plate.

Back