Breiss Munich LME

trots

Trial Member
Reaction score
Was given a 33# growler of breiss Munich LME. Has anyone used this ? Can I use it wholly as my malt? Thanks

Munich is a darker malt with more flavor than 2 row so yes just expect a rich tasting beer

Lovibond Flavor Unique Characteristics/Applications

(8 °Plato) Rich malty,
biscuity Ingredients: 50% Base Malt, 50% Munich Malt, Water

I personally would add some light dme to balance it out, maybe split into 2 batches

I'd do an Oktoberfest, "SMASH" style. In other words, use the syrup as your only fermentable, bitter and finish with nothing but Hallertau or Tettnanger, if you can, use a Munich or Bavarian lager yeast, primary ferment at 50 degrees, lager a month at 32. If you don't have facilities to lager, make an Altbier. Same general idea, use Saaz or Tettnanger, Altbier yeast, cool side of ale temps. Brew both to about 5.5%. Would be fun as an experiment, especially since the LMEis free!

By the way, one of the best beers I've done in a while was a test of a kit put together by the local homebrew store. It was fun to take a step back and work as a pure beginner would. In fact, those were my instructions: Work like a beginner. Okay, I rehydrated my yeast but it was fun!

Good question. I just started a batch last night, 3.3 lbs of Briess Munich plus 1 lb of light DME in a 3-gallon batch. 1 oz. of Hallertau for 60 mins, 1 oz. of Tettnang for 10 minutes. Fermenting at around 72 degrees. I was using some ingredients I found leftover in an extra bucket, used Safale US-05 yeast so don't know how it will turn out but will let ya know (If I remember to get back on here, LOL).

UPDATE: 12 August

Airlock bubbling stopped 3 days ago, took a sample and can taste a little sweetness. OG was 1.045, sample 3 days ago was 1.010. Sampled today, still at 1.010, but krausen hasn't dissipated and lots of visible yeast clumps on top. So I'm gonna give this another week or so, but so far this would make a great summer beer. I'm using a bucket and the seal probably isn't perfect so I'm going by what the krausen is doing versus relying on the bubbling in the airlock. It fits with a Munich or a Munich Helles so far, gonna throw some Irish moss in with the boil next time and there will definitely be a next time with this one!

26 August: Krausen fell and yeast settled overnight, so I brought it down to the basement on the 13th for a simulated lagering, ha ha...Bottling day was today and didn't quite fill the last bottle so I just went ahead and drank that...Yum!!! Can't wait to pop one open in another month or so...aww, heck, 2 weeks. No complaints here!

Back