Brand new to brewing

NWA-Chris

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello from beautiful NW Arkansas. I have been a craft beer drinker for about 12 years now and finally decided to give brewing my own a try. My name is Chris. I am retired from the US Army. I have been thinking for several years now about trying to brew, and just happened to find a home brewing kit a couple of weeks ago. I haven't even bottled my first batch, that will be tomorrow night. So I am truly brand new to the idea, but I'm looking forward to it a lot!

If it is your first time bottling, the extra pair of hands from a friend or significant other will help a great deal. A little sanitizer foam won't hurt anything, but make sure you have drained all the sanitizer liquid from the bottles. I wonder how I know this? LOL. Your dishwasher is also a very good friend. I like to run my bottles through the dishwasher the night before or a couple of days before and through sanitizer the day of bottling.
I bottle the lazy way using longneck bombers. With longnecks, it is very easy to pick a spot to stop on the bottle. If you fill them too much or use too much sugar, you will blow them up. If you do the opposite, you will have flat beer.
Corn sugar is very easy to use. Fill a 3/4 cup measuring cup and double check the weight to 5oz using a kitchen scale, make a simple syrup using 2 cups of spring water, boil for 5 minutes, and add the simple syrup to the bottom of your bottling bucket. Make sure your tubing is long enough when you drain the fermenter and try not to make splashes in the bottling bucket. If you don't have corn sugar, use a calculator for table sugar. It won't take as much.
Good luck. Remember, you will probably make mistakes with the first one. Make good notes and learn from it. Make sure you take gravity readings. I usually save what I have in the hydrometer beaker, put it in the refrigerator, and see how well it tastes flat. If it is good flat, that is a very good sign.

Welcome to Brewers Friend and the hobby/obsession! We stand (or perhaps sit) at the ready to help you in your journey, answer your questions, and help you learn to make great beer!

Northern Brewer has some good beginner videos, including a bottling video. There is also the forum section here on BF with an illustrated tutorial which is very helpful.
Screenshot_20230220-124433_Chrome.jpg

Northern Brewer has some good beginner videos, including a bottling video. There is also the forum section here on BF with an illustrated tutorial which is very helpful.
View attachment 24304
Good point, but I do check them very carefully for that reason. The new dishwashers work pretty well, the old ones may not work as well.

Welcome Chris, nice to know you.

Best of luck bottling, don't panic. Remember that 150 years ago sanitize wasn't even a word. Beer is forgiving, so have fun and enjoy the journey.

You just made me much more comfortable with what I was doing. I was concerned that everything was sanitized 100% correctly! I am really looking forward to seeing what it tastes like.

You just made me much more comfortable with what I was doing. I was concerned that everything was sanitized 100% correctly! I am really looking forward to seeing what it tastes like.
My pleasure.

of course, ideally we should have everything cleaned and sanitized, and if you're kind of sloppy about it, eventually it will bite you in a batch. But, it really is not that common to spoil a batch because of sanitation. In fact, the only batch I had to dump was because of sanitization: I forgot to remove the sanitizer liquid from the keg before I filled it from the fermenter. It actually didn't taste terrible but I didn't wanna drink a 20% sanitizer-80% beer solution...

No disrespect intended @Sandy Feet , but I would caution that washing bottles in the dishwasher may leave a residue from any rinse aid you may have in there. This may negatively affect affect head, and head retention...
agree............if they were new bottles, then a quick rinse and sanitize in starsan. if they were used then used the bottle washer with PBW, then starsan. in 6 years of bottling, never had an issue

Welcome Chris, nice to know you.

Best of luck bottling, don't panic. Remember that 150 years ago sanitize wasn't even a word. Beer is forgiving, so have fun and enjoy the journey.

agree with this. just make sure they are clean and take a starsan bath for a minute or two and you will be golden. also dont forget to sanitize the bottle caps too :p

I've never sanitised bottle caps :oops:

I do. Just throw them in a bowl with StarSan.
I'm a little more of a PITA when bottling. I make sure my bucket sits at least overnight with sanitizer and my lines do the same. I'm the same way with my fermenter before I brew.
It is probably overkill. but it makes me feel better.
Going back to the dishwasher, I don't know what has been left in bottles during transport. That is my extra sanitizing step. Yes, the other posters are correct concerning residual stuff from the dishwasher, but I do inspect them fairly well, and if I see anything, I will rinse and/or run them through again.
I also think it is easier than running a brush through older bottles to clean them. Gunk in the bottom of the bottle won't help beer much either.

Welcome to BF. Lot's of experience here. All you have to do is ask. Also, the tip on patience, believe it. Have fun brewing!

Welcome Chris! As you can see there are many opinions on any topic. Remember, even if our opinions seem valid and may even be correct, it's still your beer! Obviously safety issues shouldn't be ignored without good reason but, everything else can be. Just make sure you're having fun. Denny Conn (homebrew guru) once said, something to the effect of "If you aren't enjoying homebrewing, you are doing it wrong."

Back