Bourbon Barrel Porter

Reaction score
Good morning ladies and gentlemen,

I am in the process of making my first spirit/wood aged beer, a bourbon barrel porter. I don't have a barrel so I used 2oz. of American medium toast oak cubes that were soaked in 16oz of Makers Mark bourbon for 2 weeks. Last weekend I transferred it to secondary where I added the bourbon and oak cubes. My OG was 1.065 and my TG was 1.010.

I was planning on bottling it next weekend until I made a discovery this morning; it seems to have gotten going again. There is a nice krausen foam across about 1/4 of the surface and I can see the tiny bubbles rising from the bottom of the carboy after it sat dormant for almost a week.

Kind of a multi-part question here: What could have caused it to seemingly kick up again? Is there any harm to leaving the cubes sit in the carboy more than two weeks? Would it still be safe to bottle next weekend and assume any activity I'm seeing is negligible?

Thanks and cheers!

The renewed fermentation could have come from agitating he yeast a bit in transfer, or from an increase in temp. I've had the same hing happen before too. I'm planning on oakng a beer later and have done a lot of research on it, and it seems like two weeks would be fine, but that it could get really heavy oak flavor. 16oz of bourbon seems like quite a lot, but as long as it tastes good, that's all that matters.

For lack of a better word, it's still going, as the small ring of krausen is still holding and the airlock is bubbling every couple of minutes. Yeast must of just got re-energized from the transfer because if anything it's gotten cooler in the basement the last few days and it keeps going.

Think I'll bottle regardless this weekend and just go really low in the CO2 level since it seems to be a little active at the moment. Thanks for the input.

CHEERS!

Back