Bottling too early?

Duchifat

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Dear brewers,
I have a 20L batch of Tripel fermenting. My OG was 1.062 and 6 days into fermentation I added 1 kg of table sugar. I am using a recipe I have often brewed, and with Danstar Abbaye yeast I usually reach a FG of 1.010-1.012 in 14 days. This time however, I used yeast I harvested from a bottle of Westmalle Dubel.
Now I'm 17 days into fermentation. Finally things are starting to quiet down and today was the first day I didn't see a thick layer of yeast floating on top of the beer. Up until now it was so thick I didn't see anything else; it reached and stuck to the top of the bucket. Right now I'm at 1.008 but I know that fermentation is not finished: 2 days ago I was at 1.012 and the airlock bubbles every few minutes. Finally my question: I'm happy I'm going to get a light bodied Tripel but I don't want it too light. Could I cold shock at this point even though the yeast might not be finished and then bottle, or would I be at the risk of exploding bottles? Do I absolutely have to wait until the yeast are finished?
Thanks in advance,
Michael

Yes, wait until the yeast is done before bottling, exploding glass sucks.

It won't hurt it to let it sit a while. Better than blowing glass across the room.

Thank you PJW and Hawkbox. I guess getting a beer different than what I planned is not as bad as exploding glass...

We live and learn mate.

Back