Bottling bucket as fermenter?

Jimsal

Trial Member
Reaction score
quick question. Someone gave me an extra bottling bucket. I don't need two. Any reason why I can't buy a lid and use it as a fermenter?

There are many fermenters that feature a spigot. Just make sure there's enough headroom for the krausen. Clogging may be an issue, but you could always siphon.

I'm pretty sure the bottling bucket and fermenting bucket are the same thing, other than one having a lid and one having a spigot. I use a bottling bucket as a fermenter, and to me the spigot is a lot more convenient than a siphon. If your spigot geta clogged you can probably clear it with a piece of wire or pipe cleaner. Sanitized, of course.

Yea I ferment in a bucket with a spigot / tap what ever ya want to call it. I'd check the bucket over for deep cuts or abrasions from let's say someone using a scubbing brush in it as I hear this is where bacteria like to harbour. When transferring or bottling tilt the spigot back a little with a folded cloth or something before transferring so the trub angles away from your tap this will help to get a clean transfer I've found. Good luck your homebrew collection is already growing!

You can ferment in anything you like , I have a few different types of vessels I use
All are fitted with taps , some have airlocks but I ignore them anyway
The Coopers/Mr Beer DIY vessel is the easiest to dry hop not having a screw lid but having the tap so high up from the base annoys me

You can ferment in anything you like , I have a few different types of vessels I use
All are fitted with taps , some have airlocks but I ignore them anyway
The Coopers/Mr Beer DIY vessel is the easiest to dry hop not having a screw lid but having the tap so high up from the base annoys me
Yep I've herd of glad wrap streatched over lid with pin prick in it! I'm no so trusting I'm too paranoid of baddies getting into brew:confused:.

Thank you guys. Now I can make another brew. Lol

quick question. Someone gave me an extra bottling bucket. I don't need two. Any reason why I can't buy a lid and use it as a fermenter?
Long answer: No reason. Get a lid and make sure the gas has a way out and critters don't have a way in.

Back