Bottling a Kriek style beer

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Duchifat, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Duchifat

Duchifat New Member

Hi friends,
    In a couple of weeks I would like to bottle a Kriek style beer. The base is a Lambic style beer (30% raw wheat, turbid mashing) that matured for 14 months in a 3 year old red wine oak barrel. After that stage, the beer has been maturing with sour cherries for 4 months. When I bottle, should I:
    1. add sugar AND fresh yeast (cider/wine yeast)?
    2. just add sugar?
    3. do a test on a couple of bottles?
    Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Michael

2. HighVoltageMan!

HighVoltageMan! Well-Known Member

If your pH is below 4, which I'm assuming, and you waited 14 months to bottle, you will have to introduce more yeast. A lot of people use champagne yeast because it can handle the lower pH. As far as the sugar is concerned, that depends. Some lambics are sweet. I doubt you have any fermentables left, so adding some sugar would be required. I think you idea of a couple of test bottles is a good one. Add a couple of carbonation tablets to each bottle, fill and cap them. Lambic's are typically highly carbonated, so you may want to try a different level in each test bottle to get the carbonation level right.

Good luck!

https://www.morebeer.com/products/c...5gWNSArB8hG4O0xPQ_T6CTjXEFrszPEBoC0roQAvD_BwE

Mark Farrall and Duchifat like this.
  3. Bubba Wade

Bubba Wade Well-Known Member

Controls & Instrumentation Engineer
    Home Page:
    I have a few PET bottles from an old Mr. Beer kit. I have used them before to test carbonation. Since they're plastic, if they beer has carbonated, the bottle will become very firm due to the increased CO2 pressure. If you have one of these (or a clean plastic coke bottle), you could make a test bottle using sugar only.

On the other hand, adding sugar and a yeast like a Danstar CBC-1 is pretty much guaranteed to carbonate.

Duchifat likes this.
  4. Duchifat

Duchifat New Member

Thank you HighVoltageMan! and Bubba. Great idea with the coke bottle; so simple!