Bottled Beer with particles

Reaction score
I bottled a beer last week and there is some particles. What i did wrong, and how i can avoid this. Please see the picture attached.

Attachments

• forum.jpg
    forum.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 148
did you use irish moss or a worfloch tablet? that's just trub "yeast, hops or solids" chill it for a week and it will drop out

that could be gelatin but I would be guessing. how did your add it , the way I add mine is heat it up to 150F in a 1/2 cup of water then add it to very cold beer

that could be gelatin but I would be guessing. how did your add it , the way I add mine is heat it up to 150F in a 1/2 cup of water then add it to very cold beer
i dissolved the gelatin (12 gr) em 1/2 cup of water, and heated up until melted completely, and drop in the beer

I'm just commenting to see what comes of this.
I didnt use any Irish moss, tablets, or anything like that. I just wanted natural beer. So I brewed a hefeweizen. It's supposed to be cloudy. But this isnt cloudy as much as its floaties. Im too curious how this turns out. Best of luck brother

A good cold crash will/should sort it coupled with geletin once beer is cold should help even more. A fine cloth over transfer hose end to catch them odd stray hop particles and then on to a couple weeks cold conditioning before serving should have you singing dixey and being merry with what beauty youve created.:rolleyes:

Just curious, when you transferred from fermenter to bottle bucket, did you 'steer' the racking cane (or the auto siphon) to stay above the grub in the fermenter?

Probably more than anything patience is the answer. If you allow sufficient time in the fermenter, are careful while racking and bottling and allow enough time to carbonate and condition once bottled you should have clear beer in most cases. Depending on the yeast, you may need to be careful while pouring out of the bottles.
Kettle finings, cold crashing and using a fining agent at the end of fermentation help, but don't replace the time element. Certain beers are best when drunk young, so you wouldn't want to rely heavily on time.

I bottled a beer last week and there is some particles. What i did wrong, and how i can avoid this. Please see the picture attached.
Out of curiosity...what yeast did you use?
I am also of the opinion, that it probably has something to do with the gelatin, but hard to say. It doesn't really look like yeast to me though.
As others have said, just wait for it to drop and enjoy. I bottle, and though I have never had flakes, it is very rare for me to have clear beer after only a week. Generally, a week or two and I will start seeing where the beer is headed, and by anything from 3 to 6 weeks it gets there.

A good cold crash will/should sort it coupled with geletin once beer is cold should help even more. A fine cloth over transfer hose end to catch them odd stray hop particles and then on to a couple weeks cold conditioning before serving should have you singing dixey and being merry with what beauty youve created.:rolleyes:

''A fine cloth over transfer hose end to catch them odd stray hop particles'' this is interesting and creative thing to do, in the next time i will try this.

Just curious, when you transferred from fermenter to bottle bucket, did you 'steer' the racking cane (or the auto siphon) to stay above the grub in the fermenter?

I use the siphon to transfer and put it above to grub in fermenter, but i always try to put it close to get more beer, maybe be the problem.

Probably more than anything patience is the answer. If you allow sufficient time in the fermenter, are careful while racking and bottling and allow enough time to carbonate and condition once bottled you should have clear beer in most cases. Depending on the yeast, you may need to be careful while pouring out of the bottles.
Kettle finings, cold crashing and using a fining agent at the end of fermentation help, but don't replace the time element. Certain beers are best when drunk young, so you wouldn't want to rely heavily on time.

that's for sure... the time was the agent. In a week after bottled, all particles dropped out in the bottom.

Out of curiosity...what yeast did you use?
I am also of the opinion, that it probably has something to do with the gelatin, but hard to say. It doesn't really look like yeast to me though.
As others have said, just wait for it to drop and enjoy. I bottle, and though I have never had flakes, it is very rare for me to have clear beer after only a week. Generally, a week or two and I will start seeing where the beer is headed, and by anything from 3 to 6 weeks it gets there.

the time was one of problem, today my bottled beer is without flakes

Caution and a gentle steady hand are probably your big areas to win with this. The less you stir up the better you'll end up.

that's for sure... the time was the agent. In a week after bottled, all particles dropped out in the bottom.

Small sediment floating around during the 1st week of bottling is normal and likely due to the refermentation of priming sugar. Just think about what it looks like during primary fermentation when you see all sorts of things swirling around inside the fermenter. Glad you figured it out and hope you ended up with a delicious brew!

Back