Bottle conditioning of lower ABV brews?

DarkVader2

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
A friend recently brewed a all-grain porter using my recipe that provided an estimated ABV of 5.8 % based on gravity readings. His system using fly sparging is more efficient than my previous BIAB setup which would have yielded 5.5 -5.6% for the same recipe.

Thirteen days after brewing, I added enough corn sugar at bottling to provide about 2.3 volumes of CO2.

At day 26 it tasted strong to me and a bit harsh. After 30 days, mellowed out and everything I'd hoped for.

Did change really happen in those few days? Was it really bottle conditioning or am I kidding myself?

Comments please and thanks in advance for your answers.

A friend recently brewed a all-grain porter using my recipe that provided an estimated ABV of 5.8 % based on gravity readings. His system using fly sparging is more efficient than my previous BIAB setup which would have yielded 5.5 -5.6% for the same recipe.

Thirteen days after brewing, I added enough corn sugar at bottling to provide about 2.3 volumes of CO2.

At day 26 it tasted strong to me and a bit harsh. After 30 days, mellowed out and everything I'd hoped for.

Did change really happen in those few days? Was it really bottle conditioning or am I kidding myself?

Yes. That happens. Also, maybe the first bottle was on the far side of normal, the second was in the middle.

Also possible that the first bottle was from the bottom of the bucket and not as good as the second one?

I've noticed this on a regular base.
I generally remark on the beers as "real nice now" at about 3-4 weeks after bottling.

There is a difference with some of the bottles, actually the keg at times too. The ones that are bottled toward the end are going to have some more sediment in them and maybe some more residual sweetness to them, at least that is what I noticed. After two or three weeks, they will start to taste better.
By the way, you may want to change your screen name before every Chinese and Russian scammer starts spamming you.

Did you batch prime, or dose each bottle individually? If batch primed, you might have had an over or under carbed first bottle. Or you might have picked a bottle with dregs. I prefer to dose each bottle individually with priming solution for consistent results. Another thing I like to do is mark the last bottle filled, as it usually has some dregs from the fermenter.

There is a difference with some of the bottles, actually the keg at times too. The ones that are bottled toward the end are going to have some more sediment in them and maybe some more residual sweetness to them, at least that is what I noticed. After two or three weeks, they will start to taste better.
By the way, you may want to change your screen name before every Chinese and Russian scammer starts spamming you.
Good catch on my screen name, but how do I change it?

Did you batch prime, or dose each bottle individually? If batch primed, you might have had an over or under carbed first bottle. Or you might have picked a bottle with dregs. I prefer to dose each bottle individually with priming solution for consistent results. Another thing I like to do is mark the last bottle filled, as it usually has some dregs from the fermenter.
I batched primed, and deciding how much stirring to do to mix the priming sugar is always a quandary. I used to mark the last four or five bottles too because I can't tilt the bucket enough to keep air out of the wand when it gets to the bottom of the bottling bucket. My friend was helping me bottle and unfortunately this got overlooked. I also don't know which bottles came from which point in the bottling process, but they will all get drank anyway.

I batched primed, and deciding how much stirring to do to mix the priming sugar is always a quandary. I used to mark the last four or five bottles too because I can't tilt the bucket enough to keep air out of the wand when it gets to the bottom of the bottling bucket. My friend was helping me bottle and unfortunately this got overlooked. I also don't know which bottles came from which point in the bottling process, but they will all get drank anyway.
If you are batch priming in a bottling bucket, add the priming sugar solution to the bucket before racking from the fermenter to the bottling bucket.
The action of the incoming beer will mix with the priming solution nicely.

Batch priming didn't work well for me (admittedly I only tried 2x).
I dose sugar per bottle, using the smallest measuring spoon (1/8 teaspoon, 2 level ones of those per bottle of 375 ml)

Batch priming works well unless you have a brain fart and can't measure corn sugar to 5oz (I wonder how I know that?). Yes, add to the bottom of the bucket and rack on top. I used to put a "Mr. Skunky" sticker on the cap of my last bottle especially for me to drink . I like chunky beer.

Batch priming didn't work well for me (admittedly I only tried 2x).
I dose sugar per bottle, using the smallest measuring spoon (1/8 teaspoon, 2 level ones of those per bottle of 375 ml)
When you say sugar, are you referring to table sugar? And how many volumes of CO2 does that amount yield?

When you say sugar, are you referring to table sugar? And how many volumes of CO2 does that amount yield?
you can use table sugar(sucrose) instead of corn sugar (dextrose) but corn sugar will ferment out more cleanly and you need slight less table sugar.

Last edited:
Batch priming works well unless you have a brain fart and can't measure corn sugar to 5oz (I wonder how I know that?). Yes, add to the bottom of the bucket and rack on top. I used to put a "Mr. Skunky" sticker on the cap of my last bottle especially for me to drink . I like chunky beer.
I use a different color cap for the last bottle.

Yes
Table sugar.
In Europe mainly beet sugar, where I am it will be cane sugar.
I'm not sure about CO2 volumes.
I just aim for 6 to 8 gr per litre.

You can use table sugar or you can use corn sugar from the brew store. Priming calculators on this site for both. It will take less table sugar than corn sugar. The CO2 volume depends on how much sugar you add. I like the corn sugar because it is easier to measure. 5oz corn sugar is 3/4 cup. When the kitchen scale is fucky, the measuring cup is a double check. Again, I wonder how I know this? LOL.
5oz corn sugar should be close to 2.5. Going higher than say 2.7 or more? Make sure you have the bottles for it.

It was changing constantly, it just happened that between days 26-30 whatever you were noticing dropped below your taste threshold.

Back