Botanical derived terpenes-- any advice

Betty Dehoney

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I received some samples of botanical derived terpenes from Abstrax. Has anyone used these in brewing beer? I am trying to figure out how to use it in small batches. Samples included pineapple express, king louie, SFV, Blackberry cash, super lemon, gelato

not sure what they are, just flavourings?

These do not have cannabis extract (i.e., no buzzy- they are legal in states that marijuana is not legal). They are flavorings-and the website makes them sound like hops (dank, pineapple, citric, wood, earthy, spicy). No direction on how to use them-

These do not have cannabis extract (i.e., no buzzy- they are legal in states that marijuana is not legal). They are flavorings-and the website makes them sound like hops (dank, pineapple, citric, wood, earthy, spicy). No direction on how to use them-
OK, they are using names that mimic some strains of cannabis though.

I sent a message to the company through the chat function. Told them was a home brewer brewing small batches- here is the response:

Sure thing! I can give you our starting points for our Brew Gas Series:
  • We recommend between .04-.07% application rate by liquid volume.
  • This generally equates to 1-2fl oz. per barrel. Start low and dose to taste.
So since I brew 2.5 gallon batches and a barrel is 31 gal, I should start out at less than .1 ounce. Does this take the place of all hops, or is late hop/dry hop/ during bottling. No idea.

Well, ask them again. But I strongly syspect you still need some hops in there. They have effects on the beer other than bittering, such as preservative.

They have a mixing calculator on their website, the random pick I made suggests 2 drops to a bottle of champagne.
I would not use it in place of hops at all! Hops not only add flovor, there are other benefits to having them present in your beer and this stuff is a post fermentation additive.

They have a mixing calculator on their website, the random pick I made suggests 2 drops to a bottle of champagne.
I would not use it in place of hops at all! Hops not only add flovor, there are other benefits to having them present in your beer and this stuff is a post fermentation additive.
I think I am going to add at bottling. Doubt that putting it in the boil or during fermentation will do anything positive.

Back